Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I already knew that the Wanne Durga was a beast on tenor. But a friend kept on me about how great the Alto model was, and how I needed to grab one. Since he is 6 hours away from me, I couldn't just run over and try it out, so I just dreamed for a bit.

As most of us know, attaining most Wanne pieces brand new requires nothing less than knocking over a 7-Eleven, and even then you might not have enough! :mrgreen:
So I sold some pieces and waited.

I recently had the opportunity to get a brand new vintified Durga 9 alto straight from Theo and it came in today!!!! Playing it was priority #1!

This is nothing like I thought it'd be- its got the awesome Durga alto sound everyone has told me about and then some! The vintified finish adds a unique, husky color to the tone, while keeping the with the edgy, clear projection that Durgas are known for. For my tests I am playing on Legere Signature Series reeds... ok, not just the tests, I play them all the time!:cool:

I immedietly slapped on a solid silver pressure plate, thinking that would make the sound what I had in my head. I'll spare you the minute details: it was nice, but way too controlled. There was something missing. Then I tried the solid copper pressure plate- so far, a match made in heaven! It dulls the overtone color a bit yet still allows for a lot of power!

Overall, what I like is that this piece helps me produce a powerful edge, but is not shrill like the Dukoff silverite. And, it has the potential for such a clean bright tone with lots of headroom.

I think these are great! If you get the chance to try one, you'll knock over a 7-Eleven near you too :faceinpalm:!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hi... I to am "in love" with the Durga... but they are not sold here in Portugal. Best I can do is go to the UK to buy one... If you get a chance it would be cool if you could post a sound clip. I ask because I to have a Yas 62 and would realy like get a sample of this mp on it (afraid to pay $500 and not liking the sound!!!)

If you ever get tired of it give me a "call"

Cheers

·
Registered
299 Posts
I'm also very interested in getting a Wanne for Alto. Not sure on which one though.

·
Forum Contributor 2012, SOTW Saxophone Whisperer,
3,209 Posts
Funny - playing a 3 week production of "Hairspray" and the last 2 rehearsals I had been using my trusty RPC red letter 95 that I use for EVERYTHING - however last year I aquired a Durga Alto 9 for a production of "The Wedding Singer" while I was lookin for that 1980's rock alto sound.

Tonight I slapped her on (fully expecting that it was going to be too much)

Long story short - that Durga was the ticket. NICE modern sound with power out the wazoo!!! - YET can back off with no effort.

Deff glad I have one in the stable!!

Charlie

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ribeiro- I need to get my recording setup back up and running, but I will do what I can! Best of luck!

Woosax- Jump on when you get it and let us know what you think! My boys said I was nuts for going with the 9, but that's how I roll!

Gray- NO DOUBT!!! I said the same thing when I bought my tenor Durga. Once it spoke to me, there was no going back.

To anyone seriously looking into these pieces, I strongly urge you to spend the $40 extra and get the pressure plates! They're badass! My RPC (which I bought for a cleaner, oldschool tone) may never get used again, as the Silver pressure plate gives me almost the same sound!

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry for the 2nd post in a row, but I forgot Sean!
I'm also very interested in getting a Wanne for Alto. Not sure on which one though.
Check out www.theowanne.com and look at tip openings. When in doubt, go with the opening size that's closest to what you're used too, or at most 1 size up.

If you were referring to models, I know that the AMMA is a favorite amongst jazzers and Durgas are the bees-knees for rock/ r&b sounds! I am not a big fan of the Gaia. I played one for a while and the RPC is just as awesome at half the price!

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey man- I'm still waiting on a shipment from Wanne from last week that went out UPS ground that's still in Indiana! Good thing I didn't need those bite pads RIGHT now! Lol!

·
Registered
107 Posts
I actually got my Durga 8 right from Theo himself a few weeks ago, great guy, great mouthpiece. I haven't gotten the chance to try out the different plates yet thought.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I'd go for the Durga; Got plenty of HR's I enjoy and haven't found a metal alto mpc I've enjoyed yet.

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist and Saxophonistic Art
6,260 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I actually got my Durga 8 right from Theo himself a few weeks ago, great guy, great mouthpiece. I haven't gotten the chance to try out the different plates yet thought.
Finally got the plates in- stainless steel= woo hoo!!!!

I'd go for the Durga; Got plenty of HR's I enjoy and haven't found a metal alto mpc I've enjoyed yet.
Definitely go with the Durga if you can! I have heard that the Datta is the way to go for a less expensive route towards a metal Wanne!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
3,286 Posts
I don't play alto, but can attest to the tenor version being exactly what you say -- loud and medium bright without shrillness, shocking clarity, great response, and versatile. Happily on a Durga for 1.5 year, and no interest at all in trying anything else. No complaints.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Hi... I to am "in love" with the Durga... but they are not sold here in Portugal. Best I can do is go to the UK to buy one... If you get a chance it would be cool if you could post a sound clip. I ask because I to have a Yas 62 and would realy like get a sample of this mp on it (afraid to pay $500 and not liking the sound!!!)

Cheers
I don't know about you, but I just got my vintified AMMA a couple of years ago via international mail, I live in Israel, and I had no problems receiving it in time, it only too between a week to 10 days.
The only reason you would want to go to a shop is if you want to try it before, which is recommended by a lot of professionals.
I just had the feeling that you can't go wrong with any Theo's hands creation.

·
Registered
115 Posts

Cheers
The store where I work has the Durga and we do international shipping all of the time. Feel free to send me a PM.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts