Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im settling on which Theo Wanne mouthpiece I want. Ive had quite a hard time deciding between Durga and Kali, let alone sizes. Ive searched but figured id make this thread. Anyone who was experience playing both tenor Durgas and Kalis please tell me your thoughts. I play jazz, funk, etc but not smooth jazz. The Kali seems great but just a little to tame however im not sure if I can live 24/7 with the growl rasp of the Durga.

My main point for this thread is debating mouth piece sizes. If im getting a Durga and have the option 8 or 9 what are deciding factors here. I was playing on a Meyer 6 for a long time, then 1/2 a year or so ive been playing in an RPC 115B which gives me a pretty active fluent clean fresh sound.

Will the 9 give me better attributes over the 8? Id initially say 8 because it will be easier to play on but I wanna get it right the first time.

Last thought. My main axe is my 126xxx Silver VI. The vintified process interests me however there no real pictures of mouthpieces in the different stages of its live let alone to many reviews about if it changes the sound etc. I sorta like that idea of the silver and vintified wannes on the silver horn however the gold obviously blings.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I actually have a Kali 8 and a Durga 9 (maybe a few others too), but maybe the best thing to do is go for Theo's trial policy. Buy both and then send back the one you don't like as much. My own opinion is that all Wanne mouthpieces are great mouthpieces.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Ditto Cmanders about trying them on trial.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
34,753 Posts
My main point for this thread is debating mouth piece sizes. If im getting a Durga and have the option 8 or 9 what are deciding factors here. I was playing on a Meyer 6 for a long time, then 1/2 a year or so ive been playing in an RPC 115B which gives me a pretty active fluent clean fresh sound.
What's the RPC not giving you? You haven't much time invested on it yet.

If it's close, it might be easier to achieve your goals by calling Ron to dial in your sound with your next RPC.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well ive played a Durga 9 and a Kali 8 as well. Believe it or not I found the Durga 9 way easier to blow and produce a streamline tone. The Kali 8 was much harder for me to make quality sound on and didnt jump alive in my hands. Durga 8 is probably going to be the match however I wasnt sure if its worth practicing and learning to play on a 9 for some sort of specific tone change that the was why the Durga 9 fealt a little better on then the Kali 8.

As for the RPC goes I love the RPC and will keep it close to me however the Wanne is going to be perfect for club gigs and overall loud and projected playing in times where I have to work hard to cut through. I could take go for the trial policy but I dont think its going to be that hard to logically pick the winner and i dont wanna deal with any fuss then MY BABY COMING HOME!!

·
Registered
247 Posts
I have a Kali 9 goldplated on my YAS875ex and it plays well! Played on a Selmer III alto for 20 years with this mouthpiece. Does Theo make a similer mouthpiece now-and if he does what model is it?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.