Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
I have new Theo Wanne "preformance-line" Datta& Brahma´s both hard rubber and metal mouthpieces and I thought that maybe some of you might be interested to hear how they sound.
I got these pieces for few days ago so I´m not very used with them but they are all so easy to play that it was hard to believe.
The hardest thing was to pronounce the names of the mouthpieces...:twisted:

I use Selmer Mark VI -56, Rico Jazz 3S unfiled reeds in all clips and the tip opening is 8 at all mouthpieces.
I used Zoom Q3 (mic gain low) to record the clips.No effects added.
Youtube makes the mouthpieces sound more bright and edgy than they are but you´ll get the idea...

First out, metal Brahma...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7anOHTsjyA

Hard rubber Brahma,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRteUXJtzPo

Metal Datta,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SATUAEKprbg

Hard rubber Datta,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZ3gen3k2Yo

This is the first time I have bought Theo Wanne mouthpieces.
I have tryed Ambika and Parvati for a long time ago but they were too dark for my taste.I got them from a trade if I remeber it right...
All these four pieces worked right away and there was no problem with reeds or anything.Very easy to play and very fun to play.
The material used is exellent,stinking rubber and shiny metal :)
The only thing that is in my mind is that if the "performance line" is this good, how is the the "pro line"...so,I will have to get them soon...

Please feel free to comment and I would love to hear opinions from other players who have Datta or Brahma,how do you like them?

Quess which one I liked the most????!!!

Thank you for listening...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,118 Posts
The Brahmas seem to fit your style better. How do the metal and rubber compare from the player's standpoint?

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well,I think it depens what you´re used with.
I´m more used with metal mouthpieces and I like the metal Datta&Brahma more.
I think it´s because of the size of the mouthpiece.Both metal pieces are smaller size and they feel more comfortable in my mouth.
The rubber pieces have much softer sound but they get surprisingly loud and edgy when needen,especially the Datta.
Brahma feels very much like Otto Link Early Babitt.Very much like it.And the Datta (HR) feels like Lamberson DD´s but IMO the Datta is more comfortable and so easy to play.
But it has same qualities as Lamberson DD...
I personally like the Dattas more but I need more time to play these pieces.
I will have to make new clips after a week or so...I´ve had these pieces so short time...

·
Registered
241 Posts
I liked the Datta better personally.
The Brahma sounded great, but it sounded the same across the the whole range. The Datta was a bit warmer at times and had this sort of "hollow" thing going with a bright edge - sort of reminds me about how I feel about Kenny Garrett's alto playing. That being said it did sound harder to control.

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2012-2015
5,878 Posts
You sound good on everything, judging from what I've heard from these and other clips in other posts. However, i did prefer your sound on the HR Brahma, it had a nice combination of depth and sweetness. My second favorite was the metal Brahma. I would be very curious to find out how these compare with my Gaia ...

·
Registered
392 Posts
Thanks for the comparisons, I have been eager to hear them. I liked the Brahma Best. Metal then Rubber. However, listening to these clips just reaffirms and demonstrates clearly, that not every Mark VI is a Holy Grail of saxophones.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you for all the comments.
I probably should of wated a while before posting the clips, it´s only four days ago when I got these pieces...
Jlima,do you mean a HR Gaia or metal?
Divisi,you´re welcome.What did you ment with your comment about my Mark VI??Do you mean that it´s something from with the horn??

·
Registered
472 Posts
However, listening to these clips just reaffirms and demonstrates clearly, that not every Mark VI is a Holy Grail of saxophones.
Hmmm...you must be envious of his clear ability to make that clearly wonderful MK VI sound clearly amazing on each and every one of those mouthpieces...clearly.

·
2,853 Posts
I think the Brahma metal sounded the best. Only because it had a bit more of a darkish edge when compared to the Datta metal. Totally a personal preference. They all sound "good".

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2012-2015
5,878 Posts
Jlima,do you mean a HR Gaia or metal?
Divisi,you´re welcome.What did you ment with your comment about my Mark VI??Do you mean that it´s something from with the horn??
Mine is in metal.
By the way, I think your Mark VI sounds awesome, no problem there at all!

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks again everyone :)

I was also wondering Divisi´s comment at post #8....is it that my Mark VI is not all shiny...:mrgreen:
I´ve played this horn for last eight years and it´s the best Mark VI I really enjoy playing it and there´s nothing wrong with the horn and that´s the end of discussion of my Mark VI.
I don´t want this thread to be a mark VI vs. mark VI...:tsk:

And then back to the original subject...
It´s really weird that most of you guys like the Brahma when I feel/hear that the Datta (both metal and HR) are better for me...really interesting...
I´m also sure that I should of waited before making these clips.I changed to a stiffer reed and all these pieces feel totally different,much better.
I´m also not so sure if the "enlightened ligature" is the best for the metal pieces...
I will make new clips for a week or so...who knows there might be a difference ;)
The purpose with this thread is to give fellows here a possibility to hear the difference (if there´s any...) bethween these models...much like the Freddie Gregory clips I made earlier.
Thank you all for you opinions and keep them coming,very interesting to hear!

·
Registered
472 Posts
First off, I think the intent of your original post was quite a noble one. And while you didn't ask for a critique (certainly not regarding your horn :bluewink:) I'll give you one anyway. You're quite talented and you have a great sound on each of these pieces. It's clear that you've invested a lot of time in your playing. Very nice!

Generally the Brahma's sound a bit darker, or warmer to me while the Datta's are a bit more modern/edgier to my ear. I'd enjoy listening to you on either setup so I guess I'd simply suggest you choose the one that you are most comfortable with and that most closely fits YOUR sound concept.

Thanks much for taking the time to offer us all a comparison of these pieces.

(And you've got a beautiful horn btw!)

·
2,294 Posts
Hello my friend! I actually prefer the Dattas, especially the metal, but the fact that most people here seem to prefer the darker Brahma reinforces my impression that most players in the US prefer a darker sound these days, or maybe it's just the ones that post here that do?!

I'm really looking forward to your comparison of a Datta and Durga. That will be interesting!

Great sound and playing as always, and I'll swop you that crappy old 50's MKVI for a much nicer newer one if you like..........[rolleyes]:mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thank you Mike and Minous!

Minous,
I agree with you,the Brahmas are darker and when I play them they feel totally different...more resistant...is that the right word??
Dattas are more open and they feel like the air flow goes straight in to the horn...I´m so bad to explain but that´s how they feel.
Brahma feel very much like vintage Otto Link EB,very much.
Datta is like Lamberson DD,especially the HR Datta...
(my horn thanks you...)

Mike,thank you my friend!
We share the same taste here...I´m also looking forward to compare the Datta and Durga...I just have to get me one Durga then... :)
...hmm....maybe I just should polish my sax...I´ve never done that... ;)

I like these pieces more and more and they are very comfortable to play.
I will make some new clips after few weeks to compare if there´s any difference...

Thank you all for listening!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Don,

I know exactly what you mean when you say you prefer the Datta. As a Datta user myself I find that the piece is by far the most comfortable piece I ever played. I alway thought that the sound I heard in my head was darkish linkish sound.. But now i find I can express myself much better on the Datta and I don't feel as comfortable on any other piece.. Funny how we change I now prefer the brighter Datta sound and I really can't go back to previous setups'..

So, Datta all the way :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts