Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been trying out a Theo Wanne Datta HR for a couple of weeks and I noticed that it plays 30 cents sharp on my Mark VI, but plays in tune on my CE Winds DV tenor.

The neck cork on my Mark VI is very old and worn and needs to be replaced. The Datta slides around on it pretty easily. Would the neck cork not being tight make the piece play sharp?

·
Registered
627 Posts
Is the problem just that you can't pull the mouthpiece off the cork enough to get it in tune?

If that's the case (and from the outset it sounds like it is) a quick fix until you can get the cork replaced on the neck is to wrap some teflon tape around the cork a few times until you get a better, more snug fit. This should allow you to get your mouthpiece a little further out and get your intonation in line.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can get it out far enough but it's REALLY far out. Much farther than any other piece I've ever played, and it's not that far out on the CE Winds horn. Other mouthpieces usually tune in the same spot on both horns. I did wrap some teflon tape around the cork and it will stay, but it's so far out that notes like low C - Bb will not even speak.

·
Registered
627 Posts
That's really odd.

How does the placement of the mpc compare to other mpcs on your CE Winds horn?

Does your Selmer have any of these issues with any other pieces? The reason that it sounds odd to me is that the Datta, although it is a high baffle piece, does have a short large chamber. Usually the larger chamber trends toward playing a little more flat than a medium chamber piece and that's the initial issue most people might have with intonation.

I personally don't have any of those issues with my Datta on my Ref 54, but that doesn't necessarily mean we're comparing apples to apples.

Do you have any of these intonation issues with your Gaia? Or any issues with the lower notes speaking?

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No other issues. The Gaia plays perfectly in tune and speaks super easy all the way down to Bb. The Gaia tunes at the same spot on the neck on both horns. My Jody Jazz DV tunes in the same spot on both horns as well. I've played countless other pieces as well and have never had tuning issues on my Mark VI.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How does the placement of the mpc compare to other mpcs on your CE Winds horn?
Same general area as other pieces

·
Registered
439 Posts
Ekdowlin,
Hey man, I had the same issue with my Durga on my Custom Z. Tell your repair guy to try a 4mm cork on the neck. It'll look like a scene from Cliffhanger, but the piece will stay on and should play in tune!

·
Registered
439 Posts
... If that doesn't work, you have a defective VI and must call to donate it to me immedietly! Lol!

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
I have a DATTA as well as a Durga. Both are metal but one thing I have noticed is the DATTA has a shorter shank than the Durga. That means that the DATTA naturally sits farther out on the neck already. I too am a little concerned that if I do a summer outdoor gig where the temperatures are high the DATTA is going to be way too far out on the neck.

·
Registered
881 Posts
...Tell your repair guy to try a 4mm cork on the neck. It'll look like a scene from Cliffhanger, but the piece will stay on and should play in tune!
I had the same issue with my 1964 mk6 tenor with various mouthpieces, out of tune and sharp. I thought there was something funny with the horn, but changing the worn-out cork on the neck solved the intonation problems nicely.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the advice guys!

I called my tech last night and I'm gonna get the neck cork replaced next week. He seemed to think the cork might be the problem too. Hopefully that will fix it. I'll post back whether or not it works.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update:

Just wanted to let anyone who's interested know...

I got the neck cork replaced on my Mark VI and now the Datta plays perfectly in tune in a normal tuning position on the neck. I guess it was just the old cork leaking!

·
Registered
923 Posts
The things we go through as sax players!!! LOL The little things can give us fits!!!
Glad you got it resolved.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,936 Posts
Update:

Just wanted to let anyone who's interested know...

I got the neck cork replaced on my Mark VI and now the Datta plays perfectly in tune in a normal tuning position on the neck. I guess it was just the old cork leaking!
Happiness is a snug cork.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Ekdowlin,

Great to hear! You may need to change it out a bit more frequently than your buddies, given your work load and setup, but that is a little fix for such a funny issue!

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Lesson learned. Before we start selling and buying ship loads of mouthpieces
we ought to check our corks.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts