Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Forum Contributor 2008/Distinguished SOTW Member
3,295 Posts
He's playing 3 very similar, if not nearly identical mouthpieces. What would be slightly more telling is how does it sound compared to a standard link or other types of mouthpieces.

·
3,295 Posts
Skip, it seemed like the AMMA was a little easier on the "corners" as I call it (switching back from a descending to an ascending line and vice versa). Would you describe it that way as well?

Also, it sounded as if the Link was a little closer mic'd or is it just much louder than the AMMA?

And finally, how does it respond in altissimo, multiphonics, and overtones?

I liked the playing and think that you are doing a great service here. And understand how consuming it is to set up these recordings and all. Your services are greatly appreciated.

PS - I think someone said there a links of other clips of you playing on some other mouthpieces. I would love to get a hold of those if they're already out there for comparison. Otherewise, if you have a standard STM (Florida, EB, current, NY, Millenium or what have you, metal is fine for me) then I'd love to here it. If not, that's cool.

Thanks again.

·
3,295 Posts
skipsax said:
The Link STM I have (custom by Theo) has a much larger baffle than the Amma. The mic placement was identical and the recordings were all done in 20 minutes. The Link is a bit louder with that big wedge! That's good AND bad, depending on the playing situation.

You can go to "about the author" on SaxShed.com to hear a bunch of clips live. You can buy any of my cds on Dornpublications.com via Saxophone Journal. You can also hear the clip I won with on JodyJazz.com, playing his ESP.

The comparisons here are direct. Custom Link made by Theo to Amma.

I could put anything on the tip of my horn and I will sound like me - or not like me. You can check out my last offering through Saxophone Journal. It was on "Tenor Saxophone Styles". I played on one mouthpiece, reed and mic for the whole thing. The idea was to create the illusion of sounding like Getz, Gato, Jr. Walker and Clarence using the identical setup.

When I play like "me" IMHO I sound like I am heavily influenced by Brecker. When I set my mind to it, I can be a chameleon as demonstrated in the SJ Masterclass mentioned above. Maybe I'll edit down some clips of that.

Skip
Thanks for your time.

Utlimately, it's how the mouthpiece feels to the player that makes all the difference. And I too have had great experience as a chameleon with just a straight STM.

That's why I asked the first 3 questions about response and feel in extremes and extended techniques. I find that the more versatile a mouthpiece is in these areas the better it will respond all over the rest of the horn.

·
3,295 Posts
skipsax said:
Yes, I forgot to answer that...sorry.

Here you go:

I play a range of Low Bb (A with my knee over the bell :shock: ) up to high G a 9th off the horn. When I play straight ahead, I don't venture above high C (5th off the horn) very much. I don't play altissimo like an extention of the natural sound as some darker players do. I handle altissimo more like the Brecker school where it is brighter and pops out. That being said, most pieces close up on me up there at some point. Maybe they are good up to altissimo C maybe they are good up to altissimo D. Most pieces with low or medium low baffles are going to close up on me up there. The Amma stays free and open up there.

The only multiphonic I use with any regularity is on high A, admittedly one of the first we learn and among the easiest to produce. The Amma works well for me on this although it's really not a focus of my playing or something I work on whole-heartedly. I have these very cool mutiphonics sheets from Joout the Berg a bit.Kþó
AJJ Babbitt Bass sax mouthpiece for sale This mouthpiece is in excellent shape. I used it very little; it uses a baritone sax reed. Some prefer this, I don't. That's why I'm selling it. Its a medium tip opening in the originiece. Admittedly, it's time for me to revisit them in general. I have students playing "Taps and Revellie" sp? I don't make myself do it enough...

Hope that answers it.

ONE LAST THOUGHT:

Car enthusiasts have the option of purchasing an original Shelby Cobra from the 60s in varying condition and pricing. They also have the option of buying a new, reproduction of a Shelby Cobra from 2007. There are some people who want the original - no matter how good the reproduction or newer models can be - nothing else will do because it is not the ORIGINAL THING. This is no different with these pieces. There are many here who want an old link or old something else. That's cool too.

Skip
Thanks, that is very helpful. The Body and Soul clip sounds very good. It's got a very warm sound on it.

·
3,295 Posts
Skip,

I hope I didn't come off as negative or terse in any way. I genuinely appreciate everything you've provided here and all you've done. I hope that came through. If not, I'm saying it again as it should be said again. Thank you and enjoy that AMMA sounds like a great piece (of course it doesn't hurt that the player sounds great too).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.