Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Premium Member
4,904 Posts
Skip -

I also want to thank you for your time and consideration in posting your thoughts here. I think you've done an great job, and your analysis and the clips you posted were excellent.

Thanks,

Frank

· Premium Member
4,904 Posts
Theo -

Wow. What a well thought out and comprehensive post. You've answered many questions. Thanks for that.

The most poignant part of your post bears repeating.

Theo Wanne said:
Another thing to keep in mind is that every person will sound different even on the same mouthpiece. Think of the sound Stanley Turrentine got on his Florida Otto Link. What a unique sound, yet it is so totally different than anyone else I know who has played a Florida link.

Besides sounding uniquely different, when two musicians play the exact same mouthpiece one can sound truly wonderful, and the other can sound truly…well…bad. This is because each person has a unique mouth cavity, a unique blowing style (some people blow hard, others really soft), and a unique concept of sound they are trying to get out of a mouthpiece. Some mouthpieces are made to reproduce a person's sound concept and some are not, they are made to reproduce a different sound concept, that will be appropriate [for] someone else.
Your input here is much appreciated. Best of luck with the AMMA!

Frank

· Premium Member
4,904 Posts
silvin said:
Would the AMMA afford to have Coltrane's sound on his "Stardust" album ? :D
If so, I mail a cheque tomorrow ...:bounce:
Depends. Are you Coltrane?

· Premium Member
4,904 Posts
silvin said:
Yes, my name is actually John Coltrane! How did you guess?:shock:
And my technician and producer do have this names, indeed! Do we know each other? :? So, you mean that this AMMA is a good buy for a guy like me?
No, in that case, you would sound just as good using a piece of plastic pipe for a mouthpiece. :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.