Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
2,892 Posts
Thanks Skip, nice playing on "Confirmation", BTW. I like all three clips, and of course, because they are all you, they are very similar. I think it's interesting that the silver-plated piece is darker than the gold-plated piece; I always thought that it was the other way around.
Your comments on the pieces, and Gary's observations as well, highlight that there is a difference between hearing the sound of the mouthpiece from an outside source and hearing it as you play, especially at the gig. Listening to someone else play, it's really all about the tone, but when you're the one playing the piece, it's about whether it works for you or not. To my ear's it's all good; I think Theo is on to something.
There's a store a half an hour from my house that is keeping a 7* AMMA as a demo, (they worked out being a dealer with Theo. The first?), so I am going to try it out later this week............daryl

·
2,892 Posts
skipsax said:
SaxMonkey32,
You are correct I am of the Brecker mold. 20 years ago I sounded like a Brecker clone. It has taken 20 years to get me away from sounding completely like a copy and stop using all his cliched licks. I still love Mike's playing on a Link, on a DG MB - I played one for 14 years. My sound is brighter and edgier and I can't get away from that without sounding UNLIKE myself. Everytime I put on a HR or take away the baffle completely I sound like there is a rag stuck in the end of my horn.

The Amma will allow darker players to retain that and brighter players like myself to retain that as well.

The reed (one reed for all 3 pieces) was a Vandoren Java 3, rather broken in. That is pretty free-blowing and "clear" to me.

I will put on a harder, darker Vandoren ZZ 3 or 3.5 and record that for all here. It will not be MY concept of sound but it will likely appeal to many here.

In the end I hope I have demonstrated that the Amma is a quality piece worth checking out for yourself.

Skip
I wouldn't bother changing my tone with another reed if I were you Skip; I think you playing a ballad with the same set-up would be interesting though.....to see what the sub-tones sound like and how the piece responds to a less aggressive style as opposed to the straight bop playing of the three current examples. BTW, 'love your tone! Big, fat and in your face......daryl

·
2,892 Posts
SaxMonkey32 said:
Thank you for doing this.

THe fact that you admitted that you had to "back off" on the last mpc, points out the problems one can encounter making comparisons like this truly "scientific". Its hard.

When making something like this, alot of times, we end up with a sound in our heads, and begin subtly adjusting, when playing the other pieces, therefore emphasizing the similarities. (I esp. think this happened between the gold & the silver)

If you'd like my opinion, they all sound too bright & edgey to me, possibly its your concept, which, seems a little Brecker-like, which is emphasizing the highs.

Possibly you could make a sound clip with a darker mpc, maybe a Slant or something (if you have one), so we can hear what you sound like on a darker piece, for a better contrast & to judge if the brightness we hear is coming from your concept or the mpc's themselves.

Great playing, thank you very much
I mean no disrespect SaxMonkey32, but the info you're looking for will only come from playing one of these pieces yourself. Saxophone playing is subjective because it is based upon the relationship with the sax that a particular player has established through hard work over time. No one else is going to hear what you hear or have the same concept of tone as you do, and no one else can get away from their concept of tone either......IMHO.......daryl

·
2,892 Posts
m3pilot said:
As a long time car enthusiast I'm not sure that I think your analogy is a sound one. Collectors buy seven-figure orignal Cobras that probably never see the light of day and enthusiast-drivers build replicas that might cost mid-five figures to drive and sometimes race. I'm sure there are exceptions.

More to the point though, is that quote meant to imply that the AMMA is just as good or better than a Link (vintage or otherwise) only cheaper. And that the ONLY reason people play them is because the say "Otto Link" on them or because they are vintage?
I think he's just saying "different strokes for different folks"..........

·
2,892 Posts
I tried out a 7* AMMA today......and it wasn't for me. It's a very well made and interesting piece nonetheless, but not one that I'm gonna buy. Please bear in mind that I'm not really looking for a tenor piece now, (no more than usual!), and I wasn't intending to purchase it unless it knocked me out, which it didn't...........daryl

·
2,892 Posts
Sure Gary. First, bear in mind where I'm coming from: generally, I play pieces from .115 to .120 at the tip. I currently am playing an old long table Berg marked 130/2, but is measures out around the .115-.120 sweet spot for me. The chamber is huge for a Berg, but still smaller than a Link STM. I do like Links and have played them off and on for years. Regardless of what piece I use, I take a big bite and use a lot of air support.
The AMMA I played was a 7*, which Theo says is .102, and I played it with several different 2 1/2 Fibracells, which is my reed of choice. For me the mouthpiece was very bright, a hollow and tinny sounding bright, not the good kind. It also didn't project that well for me either. It reminded me of a Freddie Gregory MK IV piece I tried out a year ago: very mid-rangy. The Gregory was considerably louder.
In all fairness, the tip opening and facing are not what I like and could have a lot to do with the results I got out of it. The facing curve seemed kinda short to me, but that was just "eye-balling" it. I couldn't dig into it because the reed was closing up on me. I could have done a better job of auditioning the piece for other people had I brought different and harder reeds, but that wasn't my intention; I wanted to see what it would do for me, to see it would be worth paying $650 for one. Though I'm still curious how one more suited to me would respond, at this point the answer is no........daryl

·
2,892 Posts
Thanks for posting Theo. And no disrespect torwards you in my comments with regard to the AMMA I tried; it just didn't work for me..........daryl

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.