Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi , if you want you can check out my video revew of the ambika 8 in hard rubber for tenor sax.
The video is in HD (what a mess with uploading....ouch!,but in the end I succedeed!) and it has both video/audio clips and photos.
Since I'm italian the video is in italian , but with english subtitles. ( the old ones on overtones were in english)
Other reviews will follow , so stay tuned!
This is the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWFUueLtB8c

Hope you like it , bye
Fabrizio

·
Distinguished SOTW member
4,673 Posts
Very nice playing Fabrizio, good review, beautiful tone.

I recently tried out a Wanne Gaia soprano mouthpiece in a SOTW pass-around and I was also struck by the huge chamber, window and the thin rails.

One thing I didn't care for was the how little resistance there was (others may like this), I believe this is a characteristic of Theo's mouthpieces. I wonder if the Ambika, with it's lack of a baffle, has more.

How does it compare to other mouthpieces in terms of resistance?

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2012-2015
5,878 Posts
Very nice clip, Fabrizio. I love your tone. What reed are you using (brand and size)?

·
Distinguished SOTW member
4,673 Posts
The ambika has a "normal" amount of resistance , yesterday I tried also an aizen 8* from one of my students and the resistance was the same...
Thanks.
I guess it's the baffle on the Gaia that made it that way.
I'll have to give the Ambika a try.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't know, I've never played a Gaia , but I'd love to...
the Ambika is great , bold spread tone but not stuffy at all and with good punch.
it's vintage and modern at the same time , I give you my impressions when I'll try the gaia.
I used a giuliani 3 reed.
Giuliani is an italian brand which is very similar to rigotti.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,862 Posts
Great videos (all of them) ! Thanks man!

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2012-2015
5,878 Posts
I don't know, I've never played a Gaia , but I'd love to...
the Ambika is great , bold spread tone but not stuffy at all and with good punch.
it's vintage and modern at the same time , I give you my impressions when I'll try the gaia.
I used a giuliani 3 reed.
Giuliani is an italian brand which is very similar to rigotti.
Thank you for the information. I look forward to listening to your review of the Gaia (I am playing one) as compared to the Ambika.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the nice comments , the ambika is very reed friendly , I achieved good results with rigotti gold, giuliani and francois louis reeds.
There are differencies between the 3 brands , but subtle and the Ambika shined with all of them.
The tip is 8 (110) and I use always reeds in #3 strenght.
Love the dex words on mrpeebee post!
I remember this one:"happiness is a wet rico reed number 3"
Dex is immortal!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts