Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Woody is one of my favorite trumpet players as well. I spent a few years studying with Nathan Davis, a tenor player who played with Woody in Europe. Davis says he was in part responsible for getting Woody over to Europe around the time Eric Dolphy passed away. Some of the stories I've heard about Woody are really amazing. Here is a transcription of a master class Wood Shaw gave at the University of Pittsburgh in 1977.

http://jasonsquinobal.com/blog/2011...-class-university-of-pittsburgh-jazz-seminar/

·
Registered
33 Posts
Yeah, it is interesting. I think it was not all that uncommon for some musicians, those who were extremely popular and thought of as innovative, to keep some of the exercises and techniques they developed on their own a secret as a way to keep their creative edge. I know some trumpet players used to perform with a handkerchief over their hand so people couldn't see their fingers when they played. I think that mentality has changed somewhat nowadays. I see a lot more innovative musicians making their exercises and improvisational techniques accessible to students. They say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery but I think it can be a little nerve racking to hear some of your own vocabulary played back at you at a convincingly high level by students. I know teachers at NEC who play gigs on the weekend and hear their students transcribing the solos they just got done playing. I think when you're a respected and influential player you're always looking over your shoulder but those who are most confident find it motivating and keep progressing.

I'm glad you like the master class article the audio, and musical demonstrations are awesome.

·
Registered
33 Posts
The University of Pittsburgh has a ton of great master class audio and video from their Annual Jazz Seminars dating back to 1972 I think. I spent three years going through them all and transferring many from analog tape to CD and from video to DVD. I know that the University is trying to make these things available to the public but there are all kinds of copy right issues they are trying to work out with their lawyers.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts