Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Administrator Emeritus
17,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are some video recordings of the latest album of Dutch saxophonist Yuri Honing with his quartet.

Yuri Honing dedicated his new album to the gruesome heritage of Bluebeard, title character of the 17th century French fairy tale. Honing is one of the most important tenor saxophonists on the Dutch jazz scene. He caused a furore internationally through his collaboration with musicians such as Pat Metheny, Charlie Haden, Paul Bley, Craig Taborn and Ibrahim Maalouf. Here are the links:

- Quartet:
Yuri Honing tenor sax
Wolfert Brederode piano
Gulli Gudmundsson bass
Joost Lijbaart drums

- More about Yuri Honing:

- Link to the full recording of the album ‘Bluebeard’:

Enjoy! :)

·
Administrator Emeritus
17,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Glad you enjoyed that gents. :)

Yuri actually doesn't play in a style or with a sound (bright, clean!) I much listen too, but I think these recordings are very special. What I like is the open atmosphere and the original compositions. That's actually what he is best known for here in NL, his original approach to music.

This is what he says himself about what inspires him:

'I don't get inspiration from jazz music, but more from all kinds of other things such as classical, pop, electronic music, books, people, food and a country like Belgium. The work of the Flemish Primitives is the best that has ever been made.'
Flemish Primitives:

·
Administrator Emeritus
17,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Is that a Bill Evans mouthpiece or a Guardala he is playing?
He says in below interview (in Dutch, but you can use google translate) that he now plays a Guardala, coming from a 9* Otto Link.

He ventilates some very strong opinions in that interview, like that Chris Potter and Joshua Redman play out of tune! So it could be worth to check the full interview in English using google translate!

Here is a part of that 2008 interview (translated by google, with some corrections by me!):
"What I find important is the sound, the tone. A beautiful sound is happening. Has to do with attention. It is not necessarily in the mouthpiece and reed. It is in your head. It is love for the instrument. I think that people like Joshua Redman and Chris Potter play terribly out of tune. They don't listen to what they play. Everything's too low. It's awful to listen to. The laces pop out of my ears. They have to study long notes with a tuner. The annoying thing is that all those young conservatory students are already buying Potter's CDs and therefore also start playing out of tune. They think it should be like this. You know, if you listen to Coltrane pitch wise it's all right. Also Michael Brecker by the way. Just name them: Getz , Young, Johnny Hodges. These people play with a lot of love and attention for their instrument. Pharoah Sanders, Charles Lloyd, there are so many. I am also a huge fan of Jan Garbarek. I play a Guardala mouthpiece myself. Before that I played for many years on a 9 * Otto Link. To my satisfaction and pleasure. In the early nineties I had a double bill with Branford Marsalis at the SJU Jazz Festival. He also played on a Link first, but then on a Guardala. So I thought: I'm going to try that too. Since then I have always played a Guardala. It sounds a bit like the Link, but more 'updated'. "
Not my words or opinion!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Never heard of him, thanks for sharing! Never thought Joshua and Chris play out of tune... Are his ears that good? Or does he have a faulty tuner? Probably my ears though😅

·
Administrator Emeritus
17,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Never heard of him, thanks for sharing! Never thought Joshua and Chris play out of tune... Are his ears that good? Or does he have a faulty tuner? Probably my ears though😅
I also never heard that and I actually prefer the sound of those two over Yuri's, but my ears are only 'intermediate'!

That interview was from 2008, he might think differently about it now!

·
Administrator Emeritus
17,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Those guys are all great players. Everybody’s got their own thing going on.
Fully agree with that Mark. :)

I listened this afternoon (during work) to the long combined track of almost 19 minutes at the bottom of below link (for me very relaxed music performed on a very high musical level by all musicians):

·
Registered
304 Posts
Thanks for reminding me of him, I love it!

I used to listen to this song from 2015 on repeat. Very unique piece; starts a little bit flegmatic almost to the point of being jarring, but as a whole the song is such a minimalistic, but powerful mixture of energy and sadness.. I can't help but getting goosebumps every time. A little bit Garbarek'esque!

Reactions: mrpeebee

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
12,892 Posts
He says in below interview (in Dutch, but you can use google translate) that he now plays a Guardala, coming from a 9* Otto Link.

He ventilates some very strong opinions in that interview, like that Chris Potter and Joshua Redman play out of tune! So it could be worth to check the full interview in English using google translate!

Here is a part of that 2008 interview (translated by google, with some corrections by me!):

Not my words or opinion!
I get the impression from listening to him that he tunes is horn high and voices the notes down into tune. His intonation is really good but it does have that quality that the notes are being voiced lower. I could be wrong. I don't hear that quality in Redman and Potter. I hear it in Kenny Garrett a lot.........

·
Administrator Emeritus
17,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for reminding me of him, I love it!

I used to listen to this song from 2015 on repeat. Very unique piece; starts a little bit flegmatic almost to the point of being jarring, but as a whole the song is such a minimalistic, but powerful mixture of energy and sadness.. I can't help but getting goosebumps every time. A little bit Garbarek'esque!

That's a beautiful song, thanks for sharing (didn't know it).

In the interview reference I shared in post #6 he mentions Garbarek as one of his idols:
I am also a huge fan of Jan Garbarek.

·
Administrator Emeritus
17,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I get the impression from listening to him that he tunes is horn high and voices the notes down into tune. His intonation is really good but it does have that quality that the notes are being voiced lower. I could be wrong. I don't hear that quality in Redman and Potter. I hear it in Kenny Garrett a lot.........
You could be right about that Steve (your ears are way better than mine). I see he also plays with a very thick neck, see the picture of the second video in post #1. If I'm correct that happens if you want to get a fuller / lower voiced sound, which supports your statement above. Didn't Brecker also play that way (with the thick neck) and got issues because of that?

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
12,892 Posts
You could be right about that Steve (your ears are way better than mine). I see he also plays with a very thick neck, see the picture of the second video in post #1. If I'm correct that happens if you want to get a fuller / lower voiced sound, which supports your statement above. Didn't Brecker also play that way (with the thick neck) and got issues because of that?
Yes, Brecker did also. I started doing it myself but started feeling tension in my throat that didn't seem good to me. I actually made some lessons on my site digging into some of Brecker's alternate fingering lines and after working on these lines for a few days and many hours started feeling that tension arising again and took a break after that.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts