Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Remember the wedding gig I told you guys about last month? Well it's this sunday! There have been a few stepbacks during the process of practicing, but we got everything under control and we have today and tommorow for the finishing touches.

My friend who will play piano liked my solo so much he kept asking me to play it over and over, I played it about 10,000 times so I hope I still play it with feeling on the day of the wedding.

My friend's mother will film the whole thing, so if I am not too embarrassed I'll show it to you guys on youtube!

I'm still a little nervous, I'll probably have butterflies in my stomach, hopefully not.

On saturday everybody will rehearse for the wedding and my band will be there to get things set up too, I'm having a little bit of difficulty on my saxophone, the sound is coming off a little low when I don't use the octave keys, I'm thinking it's my embouchere. I hope to fix this, even though most of the songs I'll play with high notes. :D

Anyway wish me luck and thanks for all the support!

· Distinguished SOTW Member
5,651 Posts
That's great to hear! You hung in there in spite of the difficulities. Doesn't sound like "luck" will be needed. You're ready for "showtime"! :thumbrig:

Break a leg!!! :)

(not literally of course!! :D )

· Forum Contributor 2011, SOTW's pedantic pet rodent
8,233 Posts
Good on you. Take every opportunity to flirt with the bridesmaids. It's obligatory. They'll be extremely offended if you don't.

· Registered
1,887 Posts
So what songs are you playing? Are you playing during the ceremony or reception, or both?

If you're playing during the ceremony, good luck with that. Having to sit around for at least half an hour then performing cold with all eyes on you, now THAT is tough.

· Banned
189 Posts
Make sure that whoever's filming gets your entire performance on tape, and with a good angle (not too far that you can't be seen and not too zoomed in that you can't tell where you're playing at, not to mention the extremely shaky camera when zoomed all the way). Make sure also that the camera person will be positioned where you and your backup could be heard clearly. Nothing's worse than having the best performance of your life, only to be videotaped poorly, where the camera is shaky, the sound is muffled and the best parts of your solo are left out (have the camera rolling the whole time if possible, and NEVER stop the recording in the middle of the songs). And do post the video regardless of how good or bad you think you sound. You need to hear the feedbacks of the more experienced sax players on these forums.

P.S. Consider this wedding to be all about YOU, not the bride and groom! This is YOUR show, and the whole wedding is just a "prop." Have fun. And like I told you before, don't use a clip-on mic!

· Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
SaxyAcoustician said:
So what songs are you playing? Are you playing during the ceremony or reception, or both?

If you're playing during the ceremony, good luck with that. Having to sit around for at least half an hour then performing cold with all eyes on you, now THAT is tough.
The funny thing is that we are the band! I'm 18 years old, my friend who will play piano is 14! But he's pretty good don't worry, and then we have a girl who will sing with us. We are playing the whole night, when people start walking in, when the bride walks in and everything. This is alot of work put on our hands with not that much experience doing shows, but I feel good about this. I am also playing the keyboards too at some point.

And that comment you just gave me with all eyes on me, that doesn't help at all. :D Thank you! ;)

· Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
FighterForJC said:
Make sure that whoever's filming gets your entire performance on tape, and with a good angle (not too far that you can't be seen and not too zoomed in that you can't tell where you're playing at, not to mention the extremely shaky camera when zoomed all the way). Make sure also that the camera person will be positioned where you and your backup could be heard clearly. Nothing's worse than having the best performance of your life, only to be videotaped poorly, where the camera is shaky, the sound is muffled and the best parts of your solo are left out (have the camera rolling the whole time if possible, and NEVER stop the recording in the middle of the songs). And do post the video regardless of how good or bad you think you sound. You need to hear the feedbacks of the more experienced sax players on these forums.

P.S. Consider this wedding to be all about YOU, not the bride and groom! This is YOUR show, and the whole wedding is just a "prop." Have fun. And like I told you before, don't use a clip-on mic!
Thanks JC. Yeah that's helpful things, I need to talk to the camera person, I don't want any mistakes. And the video will be put on youtube for you guys to see, just don't know when but probably the next day after the wedding. If I consider the wedding to be about me... isin't it being selfish? I don't want to steal all the spotlight from the bride since it's the best day of her life...:D

· Banned
189 Posts
JazzItUp said:
Thanks JC. Yeah that's helpful things, I need to talk to the camera person, I don't want any mistakes. And the video will be put on youtube for you guys to see, just don't know when but probably the next day after the wedding. If I consider the wedding to be about me... isin't it being selfish? I don't want to steal all the spotlight from the bride since it's the best day of her life...:D
I guess I was just trying to instill a "go get'em" attitude in you! You're not trying to steal the spotlight, everything I said was for you to keep internally. So, go get'em!

· Registered
113 Posts
The 'break a leg' thing comes from the Theatre. It is considered extremely bad luck, tempting fate, to wish someone 'good luck' before they go on to perform. So to overcome this, they wish you 'break a leg' instead. There's a bizarre logic to this, somewhere.

· Forum Contributor 2011, SOTW's pedantic pet rodent
8,233 Posts
JazzItUp said:
The funny thing is that we are the band! I'm 18 years old, my friend who will play piano is 14! But he's pretty good don't worry, and then we have a girl who will sing with us. We are playing the whole night, when people start walking in, when the bride walks in and everything. This is alot of work put on our hands with not that much experience doing shows, but I feel good about this. I am also playing the keyboards too at some point.

And that comment you just gave me with all eyes on me, that doesn't help at all. :D Thank you! ;)
Hats off to you. This could be an extremely good experience for you in your development as a musician and (dare I say it ;) ) as a person. Well done and good luck. But don't neglect those bridesmaids. Seriously. :)

· Banned
189 Posts
RootyTootoot said:
Hats off to you. This could be an extremely good experience for you in your development as a musician and (dare I say it ;) ) as a person. Well done and good luck. But don't neglect those bridesmaids. Seriously. :)
How about hitting on the female singer performing with you? There was only ONE wedding gig I did voluntarily, and it was for my friend's mom's wedding, that was 7 years ago. It was the only way I could get this one girl's mom to let her go someplace with me. SHe played piano well enough and I asked her to play the keyboard to back me up when I'm playing at the wedding. The girl later became my girlfriend (didn't work out, though, after almost two years of drama, but I'm married now to the greatest girl ever).

· Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
FighterForJC said:
How about hitting on the female singer performing with you? There was only ONE wedding gig I did voluntarily, and it was for my friend's mom's wedding, that was 7 years ago. It was the only way I could get this one girl's mom to let her go someplace with me. SHe played piano well enough and I asked her to play the keyboard to back me up when I'm playing at the wedding. The girl later became my girlfriend (didn't work out, though, after almost two years of drama, but I'm married now to the greatest girl ever).
Haha funny but no I already liked her at some point, she knew it and was waiting for me to tell her but I didn't have the courage to tell her. She gave me a whole lot of signs she too, always hugging me, talking to me only a few inches away... but eventually she got tired of waiting... now she likes someone else and I'm by myself... and now my piano friend likes her I suspect, and she's 21! That girl can sing though I'll tell you that right now! Never seen anybody as good as her my whole life.

· Banned
189 Posts
JazzItUp said:
Haha funny but no I already liked her at some point, she knew it and was waiting for me to tell her but I didn't have the courage to tell her. She gave me a whole lot of signs she too, always hugging me, talking to me only a few inches away... but eventually she got tired of waiting... now she likes someone else and I'm by myself... and now my piano friend likes her I suspect, and she's 21! That girl can sing though I'll tell you that right now! Never seen anybody as good as her my whole life.
You know what, this isn't high school anymore. It doesn't matter if she "likes" someone else. If you're still interested and if she's single, I say you go for it, especially if you believe that she's given you hints in the past. Hey you never know, maybe the best thing that will come out of this gig will be a relationship with this girl, who might end up becoming your wife! ;)

· Registered
4,357 Posts
When you get up there to start playing, like many of us, you may be nervous. Here is one suggestion on how to think your way past this:

Remember that all you have to offer is what you are. Don't try to be 'safe', and don't focus on avoiding hitting a bad note. If playing your most beautiful sexy sax tone also runs the risk of having your tone 'break up', you have no choice but to "let it hang out". Have fun, and let us know how it goes.

· Registered
1,887 Posts
FighterForJC said:
You know what, this isn't high school anymore. It doesn't matter if she "likes" someone else. If you're still interested and if she's single, I say you go for it, especially if you believe that she's given you hints in the past. Hey you never know, maybe the best thing that will come out of this gig will be a relationship with this girl, who might end up becoming your wife! ;)
lol~ This forum really is something else!

I think JazzItUp needs to play enough wedding gigs before settling down, if you know what I mean. ;)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.