Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Tenor: Eastman 52nd St, Alto: P. Mauriat 67RDK, Soprano: Eastern Music Curvy
4,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings Everyone,

After many years away from posting or being active on SOTW, I have finally come to my senses and rekindled my desire for saxophone playing and the wonderful SOTW community!

However, I am in a slump. Playing at home and recording has left me a little defeated as of late, so I have been out spreading word and seeing jazz bands hoping for someone auditioning or looking for a jam session. Sadly, my hopes have come up short and I'm left here with many "Good Lucks".

I have resorted to the normal advice given in these scenarios, going to local jazz bands, jam nights, and seeking out on craigslist. But, I have not yet come up with a decent solution. The one band willing to give me a shot was apparently only for 40+ years old, and i'm sadly 10 years to young.

I have recently moved and am living in Colorado Springs, CO (gotta update this old profile for sure).

Anyways, I hope maybe you all can help provide me some more advice, or even better yet, just some encouragement to keep on trying.

Jmoen!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
6,086 Posts
Offer your services to the old timers.....of course you might have to be pretty good to hang with us old cats, but hey - you might just learn something

·
Registered
4,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Offer your services to the old timers.....of course you might have to be pretty good to hang with us old cats, but hey - you might just learn something
I actually would have gotten schooled by the lead alto/tenor players. But sadly, they are strictly 40+ and nothing else, so I could wait 11 years and hope to join up but no dice for any play time with this group for now.

·
Registered
4,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Start your OWN jam session! Go to local establishments and tell them you'd like to start a session there and people will show up to perform and watch. If opportunities don't exist, CREATE them!!
Thanks Dave, love the videos btw.

I'm actually just starting to get familiar with the local scene after living here for 2 years. I have found 2-4 places that do open mic/jam session nights. Mostly guitar players, and i've heard a few horror stories from saxophones trying to hang in with them. But I'm preparing a small set now to try and get out there. Going to try and do it sans accompaniment as well.

I also just met up with one of the lead altos of a local big band, and he's going to prep me for some auditions once the become available, if they ever do (He hasn't seen one in 2 years lol).

·
Registered
176 Posts
With backing tracks and a small portable sound system, you could look into giving a free performance at a nursing home. It may not be much, but you are still getting up in front of people and building much-needed experience in a live setting. Another idea would be to call up local churches and see if any of them would appreciate a saxophone special number during their worship service. You would, of course, have to adapt your music/playing style to suit the setting. But again, you're still getting an opportunity to play in front of other people. And if they like what you do, they'll invite you back, which gives you even more opportunities.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
7,356 Posts
Welcome Back!!

I suggest you consider finding a space where you can have your own jam as well. Find out if there are FB music pages for your area and ask if there would be interest in have 3 hour jam session at a lockout space somewhere or if you have access to a basement and PA even better.

These personal interactions are often a lot more valuable. You can just play and go over different songs each person brings to the table and maybe even throw around the idea of starting a band if you get along with the people who show up.

I know a lot of folks in my area who have simply done this. We like to have a party. Invite lot's of people to jam and make an event out of it. The people you meet are almost always interesting.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts