Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to get your feedback, if you have any experience and opinions on this. I've been told here in France, that the used instrument market is much smaller than the USA, not just because of the population (5 times more in the USA) but also because more people play instruments in the USA. I wonder if you think that's true?

They (at the music store) told me that when instruments become available they're often snatched up by students of a given teacher. The teacher knows that A is about to sell and that B wants to buy, for example. This is not a big city, so the store, one of the only to have wind instruments and a good repair guy, only had a few altos, three Yam with 5 people on a waiting list wanting to buy them. They offered the Jupiter I was renting for about $900, including the deduction from money I'd already paid in rental, $200. According to the catalogue, list new was $1600.

On the other hand, in the USA there's a chain of used instrument stores all over, including one 5 minutes from where I'll be staying. They have a bunch of altos and the YAS23 I'm looking for. Yes, there's Craig's list or Ebay but I don't have that kind of time to go deal with a bunch of individuals, especially since I'm far from being an expert in checking a saxophone over.

The USA being vast, too, buying an instrument unseen to be shipped is too risky to me.

What do you think about what's said about the used saxophone market in your or other regions and the tactics for looking for a used value?

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
I'm really not able to make an informed comparison about the market in France vs that of the US, but I will say that I think there are probably areas in both countries where there is a thriving market for used horns, and areas where there are very few being bought and sold. If you happen to live in an area where it's hard to find a decent horn, it makes good sense to think about traveling to a bigger city -- or even another country -- to do your shopping. If you have a trip planned to the US anyway, why not do some shopping while you're here and see what you find?

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
41,624 Posts
Yes, the market in Europe is smaller than the US and this is as true of the new saxophones as it is of the Vintage ones.

Prices are also generally lower (for American Saxophones) in the US wile they are higher than in Europe for European instruments.

Nevertheless there are tons of instruments in Europe too!

There are many dealers in Europe and many European members, such as myself, who also sell instruments.

What is that you need? At the moment I have 3 Keilwerths, alto, tenor and baritone.

In the NL there are no waiting lists for used saxophones, provided you have the money you can walk in a shop and come out with a horn, the private market is cheaper .

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm looking to invest in a baritone sax some time in the future. I like the vintage saxes that looks like they lived a whole life, preferably with bare brass body so it looks a bit rough :)
I don't play sax very often, I only like to take it out every once in a while and play a bit. With that said, I'm not looking to invest a whole lot of money on a bari.

I live in Sweden and the market for used saxes isn't really that good. Any tips on where to look?

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
41,624 Posts
you can certainly look to buy in Europe (EU). There are many shops which ship worldwide.

Buying a sax from outside would result in paying at the very least VAT (which in this case is applicable but not an import tax as such) .

In Sweden, I believe, VAT is 25% + a " handing through customs" fee that you will be charged by postal service or courier.

Having said this there are shops in Sweden that could accommodate you.

We Have a member Bkenes ( Björn) who I understand has a shop and sells vintage saxophones.

https://forum.saxontheweb.net/member.php?70951-Bkenes

You don't sound like you will be needing a low A baritone and a Low Bb one will be certainly qualifying.

I have a great Keilwerth for sale but I cannot ship it because it is longer than 1m and heavier than 20Kg. which are the maximum criteria for shipping with the Dutch post.

But there are many great baritones available in the EU and all you have to do is look around.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I actually bought a nice tenor sax from Björn which I'm more than happy about!
I also been in contact with him regarding buying a bari, and that's probably the guy I'll end up buying from. I just wanted to do a little check myself before contacting him again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts