Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
THE SAMSON AIRLINE 77
Value Pro - Wireless microphone for Wind Instruments.

This is the Samson Airline 77 bundle for Wind Instruments. It includes the AH1-HM40 transmitter / Microphone combination and the CR77 receiver. The following pictures speak out themselves. Some additional comments are made where necessary.

There is 1 cool thing about the CR77 receiver.
"Its synthesized PLL frequency control circuitry keeps the signal locked and true while dual tuned molded antennas with LEDs monitor the true-diversity operation"

The unit actually has 2 receivers each having its own unique antenna. The active receiver is the receiver which gets the strongest signal!

The bundle in Europe, is offered in 4 different variations depending on which channel they work.
Channel 1 (863.12 MHz):
Channel 2 (863.62 MHz):
Channel 3 (864.50 MHz):
Channel 4 (864.87 MHz):

You need to ask your dealer to make sure which version is on offer and check with your local authorities to see if the frequency you are going to use is legal. Anything above 806MHz is legal for many countries (in the U.K it has to be above 861Mhz).

Lets take a closer visual look on the set:

1. The Airline 77 System as it arrived. In a large air-padded box.

2. The original box before opening

3, The back of the box

4. One side of the box from above. Notice the “Ch E3” label. This is a Channel 3 microphone.

6. The other side of the box states the Authorized Frequency Ranges in different Countries

8. Opening the box

14. The Rears. Notice the XLR (BALANCED OUTPUT) Jack. Unfortunately the box doesn’t include XLR cable. I found that despite the fact that the volume on the receiver was turned to the maximum, the output signal was very weak (see below) so the only way was to use an XLR cable directly into my console’s MIC’s XLR input and even having the MIC/LINE Switch (see picture below) to the -20db (LINE Option). If you use standard unbalanced cable straight to the LINE IN of your amplifier or mixer, you will have to turn the gain up to a point where you will hear extreme amount of hiss coming out of your speakers. The only solution was to use the XLR (Balanced) OUTPUT from the receiver to the PRE-AMPLIFIED MIC INPUT of my MIXER Console.

19. Notice the Samson LED’s at the right side, that indicate the strength of the radio received signal.

20. I couldn’t get quality using a LINE out due to the weak output signal which forced me to turn up the MIXER’s Gain, resulting in a big deal of HISS. The only way I could get a proper signal was to use the XLR balanced OUTPUT option of the Receiver and hook it into one of the PRE-AMPLIFIED MIC-INPUT of the mixer. Nevertheless the “Audio Meter db” on the receiver has hardly flashed more than 1 LED (-20db) of Audio Level Activity with the receiver’s volume at max. Capture of the phenomenon in this picture.

OVERALL.

I attached the AH1-HM40 microphone to my Saxophone, leaned towards the middle of the bell. and despite the fact that I was playing loudly, the output signal appeared to be too weak. The maximum I could get was to flash the 2nd LED on the Audio Meter db and no more.

The volume knob is turned clockwise to the maximum. The MIC/LINE switch at the rear of the CR77 receiver is turned on the -20dBm setting.

I don’t know if this is normal but I may miss a point here !

Take Care.

----------------

·
Registered
189 Posts
I've been using this very same mic for almost three years. No complaints at all.

Does anyone know what to do when it gets windy? It gets VERY noisy... will work some kind of windshield, like the one the Zoom has? I know, if it's windy out there you should be watching a movie not gigging, I know that...

Enjoy your new piece of gear!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi cantoni, can you tell me how many LEDs are flashing maximum at your receiver's Audio Meter during playing and at maximum volume?

Regarding the Wind Shileds they better have to be around saxophone rather than around Microphone ..... My 2 cents

Thanks

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
6,086 Posts
According to Samson, if you get noise or hiss when the mic is turned OFF and the receiver is ON, turn the squelch control clockwise until this stops. It worked on mine (in some places) and greatly increased the audio signal strength. The downside is that the farther you turn this control, the more you reduce the effective range of the transmitter. After a few trials, I found this only worked in some of the venues I tried it in. This is exactly the reason I sent mine back for a replacement.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dear Fader, If I turn the squelch knob all the way UNTIclockwise, and I turn off the transmitter at the same time, there is a very very loud (FM) noise coming out. Hiss is the noise that comes from mixer when gain knob is set too high.

If i remember right, you sent your system back not because it was defective but to exchange it with a system of a different channel (if I am right)

Take care and thanks for the feedback......

·
6,086 Posts
I expect it is a defect but it makes sense to change the channel too just in case. You should set the squelch so there is NO hiss with the transmitter turned OFF.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dear Fader, I will go through a similar nightmare. I am sending the unit back. We are not talking about a children's toy. This is supposed to be a pro - unit. Lets face it. My Unit is definitely faulty.

THIS IS GOING BACK FOR A FULL REFUND OR A FULL EXCHANGE WITH A WORKING UNIT .... FINITO..... DECISION TAKEN....

Sorry for the thread. I thought this would be an ultimate thread but ended up a nightmare.

:mrgreen:Take care until I get a new unit.

Thanasis

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi fader, exactly, yes you are right. It is a quality control issue. From your 3000 (congratulations on just reaching your 3000th post by the way), I can say you have gathered some audio experience to give a true and fair review of the unit.
I think this happens with me as well.

I read your story with the unit (I have replied to you via PM). But if you have to turn the squelch all the way clockwise in order to get rid of the noise, this is not normal.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,309 Posts
Bill,
A couple months ago doing tour dates in Europe I used a sound tech in Italy, Monaco, Spain and Majorca that really knew his stuff.

He unscrewed the crown off the head joint, wrapped a little tape around the end (so the clamp would not slide down on the silver), peeled the rubber gripper off one side of the clamp (the side that went to the inside of the head joint under the crown) put it on and handed my flute back to me.

So easy and simple! Now I only play flute on two, sometimes three of my songs in a concert so it was OK, I say this because it does add some weight.

·
436 Posts
I took a butterfly mic clip, and removed the part that screws onto the stand. This left a nice flat area to attach the jaws of the clip-on mic. I glued some neoprene foam(from a mouse pad) inside the butterfly clip; grabs on to the flute nicely. Two issues you'll have; if you're doubling on sax, you'll always need to turn up 3-4 db's at the mixer for flute, and it will make the flute heavy on the head end. I'm not using a wireless, so I would imaging there is considerably more weight with the transmitter and battery...

·
Registered
848 Posts
Thanks Guys!
Randy - Removing the cap on the headjoint - and just left it off? Did that effect your sound?
I only have a few songs to do with flute as well, and I was clipping the wireless onto a mic stand, but kept getting my breath blowing bback into the mic.

For the volume I do see the point there. I could prob just sound check with my wireless gain down and then turn it up for flute.

·
2,309 Posts
NO.The head joint crown is more of a cosmetic feature of a flute ( remember you should "help" the threads of the crown/cork if you do ever have to change the corks location, and not rely on the crown alone). If your tone changes by removing the crown you've got big problems with a too loose fitting cork.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I'd like to add something to this thread regarding the Samson Airline 77. I haven't seen this info anywhere else and I think it's important.

I have broken the bell clip on my mic, and after much hand-wringing and attempts to epoxy it back together to repair it, I discovered that the clip portion of the Samson Airline 77 is actually an Audio Technica Unimount Microphone Instrument Mount, which can be purchased on Amazon for approx $35.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007M6A5K/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

Note: The amazon picture shows a mic already attached to the clip. It's a bit misleading.

To replace the clip, you just undo the three screws which attach the transmitter to the clip, and pull the mic out of the clip's enclosure and switch it out with the new one.

keywords: Samson Airline 77 Bell Clip Repair Replacement

·
6,086 Posts
I'd like to add something to this thread regarding the Samson Airline 77. I haven't seen this info anywhere else and I think it's important.

I have broken the bell clip on my mic, and after much hand-wringing and attempts to epoxy it back together to repair it, I discovered that the clip portion of the Samson Airline 77 is actually an Audio Technica Unimount Microphone Instrument Mount, which can be purchased on Amazon for approx $35.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007M6A5K/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

Note: The amazon picture shows a mic already attached to the clip. It's a bit misleading.

To replace the clip, you just undo the three screws which attach the transmitter to the clip, and pull the mic out of the clip's enclosure and switch it out with the new one.

keywords: Samson Airline 77 Bell Clip Repair Replacement
Good info.... After going through two of these units (for electronic failure) plus one clip, I have decided they are simply junk. Twice burned...
My Beta 58 / PGX keeps on keepin on and has a noticeably better sound.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Two reasons I deal with the Airline 77's shortcomings:
1. I have to have two of them. Thus, the price difference gap is twice as large for me.
2. The PGX system still has a wire (and a bodypack), and thus, it is not wireless. How this travesty of false advertising is allowed to continue is beyond me. :)
3. My other horn section players have the PGX system and they somehow manage to accidentally turn it off about twice a performance. The on/off/mute switch and indicator on the PSX bodypack has to be the most unfriendly, needlessly hard to operate single button in the history of buttons.

·
6,086 Posts
Two reasons I deal with the Airline 77's shortcomings:
1. I have to have two of them. Thus, the price difference gap is twice as large for me.
2. The PGX system still has a wire (and a bodypack), and thus, it is not wireless. How this travesty of false advertising is allowed to continue is beyond me. :)
3. My other horn section players have the PGX system and they somehow manage to accidentally turn it off about twice a performance. The on/off/mute switch and indicator on the PSX bodypack has to be the most unfriendly, needlessly hard to operate single button in the history of buttons.
Isn't that strange. I like the button on the PGX belt-pack. Im comfortable using it to mute my mic when i need to figure out what I'm supposed to be doing. :)
And I used to agree with your point #2 until I spent a harried 10 minutes searching the floor in a dark club after my Samson got knocked off the bell while walking the room. I wish I'd have been tethered then.

I really wanted to like the Samson. You are correct that the price is right - and they just look cool. I also suffered clip failure on the damn thing. I went through two of them before I gave up and I still use it sometimes on gigs where I need three horns. Ah well.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts