Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any info on these? Looks to be a conn stencil .Silver plate no RTH and the neck appears to have an extension or possibly it was a Conn tuner neck modified.Plays well waiting for some neck repair body is fine.Marked NYC Board of Education 1948....a music directors horn?

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anyone have any info on these? Looks to be a conn stencil .Silver plate no RTH and the neck appears to have an extension or possibly it was a Conn tuner neck modified.Plays well waiting for some neck repair body is fine.Marked NYC Board of Education 1948....a music directors horn?
The "Topper" alto....sorry!

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
41,458 Posts
there was one here before

and another one

I recently picked up a Conn stencil supposedly Pan American 58m marked Topper ( with a top hat engraved on top)Board of Ed NYC 1949....silver plate burnished gold wash bell.Has anyone ever seen one? Padded and cleaned it the horn pops was in very good shape.
and I found one on ebay long time ago

Automotive tire Wood Gas Motor vehicle Auto part

Musical instrument Brass instrument Wind instrument Music Reed instrument

Artifact Font Tints and shades Gas Cylinder

Automotive tire Leg Synthetic rubber Tread Tire

Musical instrument Sleeve Reed instrument Wind instrument Wood

·
Registered
6,616 Posts
Teddy, can you reconfirm yours is dated 1948? If so, we're seeing two examples of essentially the same thing (looks more Conn-like than anything else) with two different dates.

I assume NYC Board of Ed. bought a quantity of these and distributed them to schools. If there are actually two of them with two different dates it implies two different purchases. I guess if that's so, they were adequately satisfied with the first batch.

Or, maybe Teddy misremembered and it's the same horn that Milandro saw on Ebay.

Either way an oddity and a rarity though (unfortunately) that doesn't make it valuable. Sorry.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,960 Posts
Conn 14M Director...or more accurately, since late 40-'s it would have been the Pan American line, which became the Conn 14M Director around 1957.

You see the name from time to time, seem it was a stencil name which survived into the 50's.

Not certain what is going on with the neck, you are correct it seems a tad long for a PanAm neck. Possibly was from a NW horn and the microtuner got removed....this might have happened at factory or afterward.

Nice horn, the Board of Ed thing gives it a bit of exta curio mojo. Value as a good player far exceeds its value on the market, however. Even in refurbed shape this could onluy sell for maybe $500-ish.

Sorta suprised you say it plays well, from what I can see the pads look pretty darn old/shot....

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Teddy, can you reconfirm yours is dated 1948? If so, we're seeing two examples of essentially the same thing (looks more Conn-like than anything else) with two different dates.

I assume NYC Board of Ed. bought a quantity of these and distributed them to schools. If there are actually two of them with two different dates it implies two different purchases. I guess if that's so, they were adequately satisfied with the first batch.

Either way an oddity and a rarity though (unfortunately) that doesn't make it valuable. Sorry.
After overhaul....it plays very well!I wasnt worried about value and I think its the same horn pictured in rough condition.1949 marking my mistake!

Reed instrument Musical instrument Brass instrument Wind instrument Woodwind instrument
Automotive tire Tire Tread Bicycle part Synthetic rubber

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

'49 my mistake sparkles now!
Reed instrument Musical instrument Brass instrument Wind instrument Woodwind instrument

1 - 9 of 9 Posts