Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone here use or have any experience with "The Tank" cases? Apparently they used to be affiliated with Diversified Cases, but they aren't anymore. The Diversified website (http://www.diversifiedcase.com/) still says the make The Tank cases, though...

They look pretty hardcore. I've yet to call and ask what the pricing is for the sax ones, but the tenor trombone case is $595, according to the pricing list.

http://www.the-tank.us/index.html

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,596 Posts
If it's as expensive as the trombone case I'd rather get a Mike Manning.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've always wanted to know what his cases/horns are like. I remember seeing a video of a giant custom alto/tenor/soprano case he made for someone. I think thats a little overkill (and heavy!)... but everyone has their gear quirks.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wasn't talking about price. I was referring to the notion of wanting/using a triple-sax case, as it would definitely be heavy with all three horns in there, and it looked terribly cumbersome to carry or set down in smaller spaces, around other gear,or in a car. Seems like it was a G.A.S. attack.

I think that the likelihood of having a problem increases exponentially when you increase the number of horns in a given space (a case, in this context). Plus, if said case stolen at a gig or wherever, you're three (presumably expensive) horns and one expensive custom case in the red!

If I wanted a multiple-sax case, I would just buy a good alto/soprano double case, and leave my tenor in its own separate case. I don't mind using both hands and making two trips for gear! :mrgreen:

Although that triple one would definitely earn one some street cred...

Anyways, if the price is reasonable, I would consider trying a Tank. I'm sure there's a way to alter the foam padding to make it a doubling case.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,596 Posts
If the price is the same as the Trombone case, the manning would be better. It's lighter, pretty much it's going to fit your horns. You don't have to alter anything and it's made to be a double case. So I don't see why wouldn't you rather get a Manning, not to mention it's small enough for air travel where you could bring it as a carry along, unlike the Tank which would probably have to be checked since it's so bulky.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts