Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I laid my alto down for a week this summer, then it was two, then three.
I picked it up to play and to my surprise found frozen keys and a broke spring or two.
Dropped it off to the shop and almost two weeks later some $$$ and a lot of penetrating oil I got it back today. Still waiting to play it.
It was like finding a long lost cousin.
Learning learning learning.....

·
Banned
566 Posts
hows your memory?
a few weeks doesn't freeze keys and break springs.
you sure it wasn't 10years,then it was twenty years,then thirty years?
jokes aside,its good to have a proper service every 1-2years.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My memory is pretty good. And the horn is serviced just about every 6 momths or so. I just play it a lot.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
17,992 Posts
LOL, I can see why LivingDream joked about that, though.

The springs must have been quite old, and indeed laying a horn to rest for a few months typically doesn't make keys freeze and require penetrating oil to alleviate the situation....somewhere in past servicings a tech didn't address the rods, methinks....

But glad you got it back in shape. Nothing like a nice ol' Chu....

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmmm. The horn was overhauled about 30 years ago but only played for the last 6 years, and I take it to the same guy who did the overhaul to work on it. The only time hee sees me is when something doesn't work. Which is about every 6-8 months. So yes maybe those couple of parts haven't been replaced. Don't have a better answer for the rod freezing up.
I bought a new bottle of oil with a syringe tip. Maybe I clean the sax too much.:(

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,943 Posts
Adding oil to the end of the rods doesn’t guarantee that lubrication reaches the rest of the rod.

See Matt Stohrer’s YouTube video regarding How to Properly Lubricate a sax - think of it as changing the oil vs wetting the pivots.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts