Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
An American icon with a French accent. I wonder how it plays?

What other weird hybrid saxes have you seen?

Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
I wouldn't think a Selmer neck and a Conn body would be a great match.

The price is absurd, lol they are STILL selling a 30M with unorignal neck, for goodness sake.

Other than that, however, what is Frankensax about this ? No mention of other unoriginal parts, unless I missed it ?

Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
it may be relatively easy to find a neck to match the 30M and sell the SBA separately (for quite a bit) , other than that there is nthing else which was married, no?

Just a guy who plays saxophone.
If neck swapping creates a Frankensax then there鈥檚 a lot of SoTW members holding monsters. I fully expected to see a sax full of so many donor parts you couldn鈥檛 tell what the original model was. Yawn.

Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
it may be relatively easy to find a neck to match the 30M and sell the SBA separately (for quite a bit) , other than that there is nthing else which was married, no?
Exactly, yes. I would posit...selling the Selmer neck separately, then acquiring a Pan Am or 16M neck for the 30M and selling it that way....would not result in any 'loss' of final transaction price(s).

Again, Selmer France necks are significantly different in spec than old vintage American ones...I'd be really surprised if there weren't a number of quite wonky notes on this combination....

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK, as several pointed out swapping a neck is quite common. I just find it of utmost weirdness seeing these such distinct iconic horns SBA and 30M married this way.

I personally would look for a NY neck , the most stylish of them all

Attachments

Registered
Tenor, alto, Bb Clarinet, Flute
I bought an early 10M from shopgoodwill.com that had been modified for someone who either had some missing fingers or some other handicap. The photos they posted didn't show the modifications. I was kind of broken hearted when I unwrapped it and discovered what a mess it was. Fortunately Goodwill took it back but I still ate the price of shipping.

Check out this mess:

Note the weird custom key. It was actuated by the right hand palm to work some keys in the right stack, I think maybe F.

Two of the left hand side keys were missing too. Ugh, hurts to think about it. I was so happy to have finally scored a pre-war 10M cheap. Neither Goodwill nor I realized it had been completely hacked until I got it home. Whoever owned it played the hell out of it though. You could see he'd had a long career with it. Lots of wear and tear. It had one of the earliest Otto Link metal mpcs. I briefly considered keeping it for my trouble but decided to do the right thing and sent it back.

Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2008,
I bought an early 10M from shopgoodwill.com that had been modified for someone who either had some missing fingers or some other handicap. The photos they posted didn't show the modifications. I was kind of broken hearted when I unwrapped it and discovered what a mess it was. Fortunately Goodwill took it back but I still ate the price of shipping.

Check out this mess:

View attachment 106686

View attachment 106688

Note the weird custom key. It was actuated by the right hand palm to work some keys in the right stack, I think maybe F.
View attachment 106690
Two of the left hand side keys were missing too. Ugh, hurts to think about it. I was so happy to have finally scored a pre-war 10M cheap. Neither Goodwill nor I realized it had been completely hacked until I got it home. Whoever owned it played the hell out of it though. You could see he'd had a long career with it. Lots of wear and tear. It had one of the earliest Otto Link metal mpcs. I briefly considered keeping it for my trouble but decided to do the right thing and sent it back.

View attachment 106691

Now that is a franken-sax! Real franken horns have fun niche in the brass world, especially tubas and trumpets and I have had a few. One of my trumpets I play often actually has parts from 7 different donor horns!

well a modified horn is not a frankenhorn while a trumpet made out of 7 different originals is certainly a frankenhon.

perhaps these qualify too ( Honi soit qui mal y PLAYS a good instrument)

Reactions: Martin Williams

Registered
If neck swapping creates a Frankensax then there鈥檚 a lot of SoTW members holding monsters. I fully expected to see a sax full of so many donor parts you couldn鈥檛 tell what the original model was. Yawn.
Wow, a FLAX!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts