Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I almost make up my mind on ordering the A901. I can't find it over here (Greece) so I have to buy it without trying it.

From what I read everything is great about this horn except.... the tone.
I mean isn't the sound of the most importance?

Would you describe the tone thin or flat or without interest? Similar to yamaha maybe?(I've heard 62 played by pro and it wasn't anything extraordinary)

Is there anywhere I can here clips of someone playing 901 and other saxes with the same setup? (I know it's mostly the player then the mpc and last the horn but surly I'll make some conclusions from the comparison).

Panos

·
Registered
730 Posts
I played a 901 bari for several months and it sounded fantastic. I playtested a 991 alto and it sounded nice as well from what I remember.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
panosgr said:
Would you describe the tone thin or flat or without interest?
A horn is only as good as the player playing it. If you're a bad player, you will make even a $10,000US horn unlistenable.
panosgr said:
Similar to yamaha maybe?(I've heard 62 played by pro and it wasn't anything extraordinary)
Apparently, the "pro" you heard on the 62 wasn't good.

Check out Julius on his A901:

http://www.juliustolentino.com/

Does it sound bland? Without character? It's all about the player.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
SaxyAcoustician is Tolentino playing the silver plated one in the "Just the begining"?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've found an A990 in a shop a couple of hours from where I live.
I'll go and give it a try. As I understand the sound should be the same

·
Forum Contributor 2010, Distinguished SOTW Member
5,076 Posts
Don't we have this same conversation happening on a nearby thread, titled "Bland"? Refer there also.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Reedsplinter
I've been reading this topic for about a month now (I read posts from 2003 now) so when I started this thread I didin't knew anotherone was running with thesame theme.:)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts