Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Shadow Alto is dark and lush not unlike an old Conn or a Martin with the precise ,smooth, lightning fast modern keywork.

It was an unplanned purchase, sort of, driven by circumstances and market conditions. For 2 1/2 years since aquireing the tenor I have been casting about for a used one, but the only one I saw went for nearly retail!

The B&S horns are good horns. I have the tenor to back up the Shadow and went out and purchased the alto. In the past year I have played more alto then in the previous 20 doing more subbing, doubling and playing more quartet arrangements on alto.

Up untill 2 weeks ago I was quite satisfied with my alto, that is, until I got asked to double on some outdoor gigs I decided to A-B the two tenors to see if I would take to the outdoor gig and said " Whoa! There is much more of a difference in these two horns then I ever noticed before!"

When I first aquired the tenor I noticed how much faster I instantly became all over the horn particularly the pinky keys. In addition I really practiced hard over the winter on scales and patterns. Good equipment makes you better which makes you practice more which makes you better! ( At least it does me.)

Finally there was the market situation! I see JK dropping the SX90 abandoning that market segment. I see a change in U S distributers with price increases to the retailers causing them to raise prices, shave margins, or abandon JK altogether as being not worth trying to sell! I see the alto going up in price as soon a current inventory is sold off. Buy now Joe! Buy now! There are still a few available.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Congrats on the new alto! As for dropping the SX90 I took advantage of the deals out there and just picked up an new SX90 tenor for $2150. Incredible deal and one that is just too good to pass up.
The temptation for a Shadow tenor is also getting to me especially given some of the prices over seas.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Congratulations! Great minds seem to think alike, I too love my Shadow alto almost too much... :) It's feels like a '50 corvette with all the authentic coolness intact remade by porsche to ride like a modern racecar.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,316 Posts
Glad to hear happy Keilwerth owners. I have a Shadow tenor and I love it.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
4,370 Posts
Well Mountainman I did make a brief run at a Shadow alto recently, but forced another bidder into using the buy it now(maybe you?). I just bought a bari, so I think that puts a Shadow out of reach.........

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Joe Jazz said:
Well Mountainman I did make a brief run at a Shadow alto recently, but forced another bidder into using the buy it now(maybe you?). I just bought a bari, so I think that puts a Shadow out of reach.........

Twasn't I. I didn't even bid when it went to $3500. That was before I said "now is the time" and bit the bullitt!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts