Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am very new to the saxophone. I began to study jazz guitar, and eventually just jazz about 5-6ish years ago. I had the interest in getting a C-Melody about 8 months ago, and made it happen about 6 months ago.

Already I can feel the G.A.S.... mouthpieces, necks, straps, reeds, horns, pads! etc. I have gone from having one C-Melody to two, and I still check ebay all the time to see what C-Mels and Bb Tenors are coming out of attics. (I like vintage... super vintage)
C-Melodies also appeal to me because they are "unusual" and every sax player I talked to told me not to get one. (which made me want one more :dontknow:)

I now spend a lot of time reading about saxophones and watching players on youtube. I can now say that I have probably read every bit of information available about C-Melodies that the internet has to offer! (There is a lot, but it is still finite) I have looked at differences in models/keywork/etc. and have found C-Melodies to be wonderful forgotten horns. I will eventually get a Tenor, but the C will always be my main horn.

I just wanted to say that the saxophone, the players, the lifestyle, its all so Captivating! I never knew what world I was entering but the kind members of SOTW have been invaluable. This horn thing is very different from guitar!

I just have to remember not to let my extensive guitar investments gather too much dust :( I It actually really has been cutting into my guitar practicing because I make headway so much faster on the sax... I don't know if I should be worried about that or not. Any other guitaxophonists have input about this? At what point should I give the sax a rest?

Thankyou Adolph Sax, and SOTW.
Danny

·
Registered
184 Posts
I love my saxes. I love playing sax. But it is a most rediculous instrument. Way too complex. Way too many moving parts. Needs loving care. Fragile. Hard to play well.

But all the reasons i love it. And you look so cool playing it.

·
Banned
2,991 Posts
Any instrument where you have to blow into a mpc to get a sound, is undignified. Add saliva, condensation, and associated bacteria and you get a more realistic and pragmatic picture of a horn player.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Yes, it is captivating. Just the sight of a sax bell gives me a warm fuzzy. The sax was always what I envisioned when I thought of learning to play an instrument; when I finally got around to it in middle age, it was the sax I picked up. I enjoy the feel, the sound, the look; I can spend lots of time browsing ebay window shopping saxophones. Trying to do that with guitars is like a recreational trip to a lumberyard.
Pianos and guitars may technically be more expressive because of their broader range, but I definitely think you can put more "feel" in music out of a saxophone.
And yes, you look cooler playing a sax than any other instrument! :cool:

·
Registered
35 Posts
I can understand that, Danny.

Ditch the guitar and go for the saxophone, hah!

I started learning the sax before I took a shot at guitar. I guess one thing you could do is have both of them out at the same time (of course, don't practice them at the same time). Tune one, and use it to tune the other, then practice. And once you're done, if you're still motivated, go for the other.

But the sax is so AWESOOOOOMEE. !!!

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
I started out on guitar a year before I started playing sax and kept it as my main instrument for the first few years. After I began playing sax mainly, guitar took a big side-part, but I still sat in places and used it when needed. At this point, I don't even practice guitar, but am spending about 2 hours on weekdays and 4 on weekends for sax. My skills on guitar are still alright enough for when groups need me to play, but I'm definitely not where I could be. Guitar has been serving a great role for me in terms of composition, harmony, and theory. Yes... I have GAS as well... Several mouthpieces. 3 vintage horns, 2 modern horns, 4 guitars, and a bass. o.o

-Bubba-

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
I've been playing guitar for 8 months everyday and I really love everything about it!
I've been playing tenor saxophone for 33 years on and off, and in that on and off time realistically around 17 years.

It appears my saxophone is collecting dust again and I really could care less. Besides, when I play my sax my cat runs for the hills.
When I play guitar she actually sits at my feet. I understand her pain.

Reeds, mouthpieces, ligatures....who needs that?

Don't get me wrong. A saxophone played beautifully is something to behold. I'm simply not one to play it beautifully.
With guitar there is an elegance about the sound that I know I can capture. Just ask my cat!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts