Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 138 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
4,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, I did use the search function but couldn't find a thread to match it. The question is:

"What movies contain soundtracks with the saxophone as solo or lead instrument?"

Just enter one movie per post along with any additional information pertaining to the movie (composer, director, year, nationality). Fine to include Bird, Round Midnight, etc. but I am actually more curious about others. I know a few, only a few, so please help me out.

I will start:

Betty Blue (37.2˚ Le Matin), score by Gabriel Yared, directed by Jean-Jacques Beneix (French), from 1986. 3-hours long in the uncut version; one hour shorter after the censors were done. Beautiful score with the sax in the foreground. One of my favorite soundtracks.

Your turn, please!

·
Registered
197 Posts
Catch Me If you Can - Score by John Williams. Features Dan Higgins as a soloist throughout; the opening theme especially. You can get a piano reduction part with alto solo. I performed it a few years ago. The 3rd movement is a lot of fun to play.

·
Banned
2,206 Posts
One of my all-time favorites--both the movie and the score--

Body Heat

Year: 1981

Score: John Barry

Alto sax: Andy Mackintosh

Here's a link to the reissued CD on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Body-Heat-1998-Re-recording-1981/dp/B000009NS2

Here's what one of the reviewers on there said:

John Barry's pristine rendition of this classic soundtrack was released on vinyl via indie label Southern Cross Records, back in the early Eighties. (Good luck finding THAT version.) Sadly, it has never been re-released in any format, let alone CD. So here's Joel McNeely's version with the LSO on Varese Sarabande, and you know what? You could do MUCH, much worse. Though slightly different in tempo and texture, you can almost feel the Florida humidity flushing your skin, squeezing out so much moisture that you have to strip down to whatever is legally allowed...and beyond...just like Ned and Mattie...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2011
774 Posts
brasscane said:
First, I did use the search function but couldn't find a thread to match it. The question is:

"What movies contain soundtracks with the saxophone as solo or lead instrument?"
I will start:

Betty Blue (37.2˚ Le Matin), score by Gabriel Yared, directed by Jean-Jacques Beneix (French), from 1986. 3-hours long in the uncut version; one hour shorter after the censors were done. Beautiful score with the sax in the foreground. One of my favorite soundtracks.

Your turn, please!
So that's what I enjoyed about that film... I did wonder :D

What about The Godfather series? Brilliant films, lovely music.

·
Banned
2,206 Posts
Also, in a similar noir vein--Bernard Herrmann of Alfred Hitchcock fame's brilliant score for Martin Scorsese's Taxi Driver (1976). But I'll let someone else do the research on that one (as far as who was blowin' the horn, etc).

·
Distinguished SOTW Tech/Forum Contributor 2007
983 Posts
i seem to recall that "the list of adrian messenger" had a lot of saxophone in it. kirk douglas and george c scott from the 60's, great movie, if you go for that sort of thing.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I like "Someone to Watch Over Me."

Apart from being a good film there are some excellent versions of the title song by various "names," including one by Gene Ammons.

·
Registered
54 Posts
The "Taxi Driver" alto should be Ronny Lang - Mancini`s favourite alto man!
He played lead alto for Les Brown in the early fifties - one of the best sounding sax-sections ever!
Superb player also on flute and baritone...........
Enjoy

·
Prodigal Son and Forum Contributor 2008
10,794 Posts
rogerb40uk said:
So that's what I enjoyed about that film... I did wonder :D
I hope they didn't cut the opening scene. It set the tone for the whole film.

I guess they must have changed it, at least.

·
Banned
4,313 Posts
In "The Conversation," Gene Hackman sits on the floor and plays his alto after tearing up the room looking for a bug. Did Phil Woods do the soundtrack?

·
Forum Contributor 2016, The official SOTW Little S
5,472 Posts
I was watching this Lifetime movie yesterday and everytime that the lady would see a guy she liked on the internet, this Kenny G-like soprano music would start playing.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
How about all those Woody Allen films with great jazz soundtracks? I'm far too lazy to check but I'd be surprised if there were too many of his films without a sax being played in there somewhere, so I'd imagine there must be quite a few tracks where it's the lead instrument.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009-
2,759 Posts
Check out the Stan Getz/Eddie Sauter work in Mickey One.

·
Banned
2,206 Posts
What's it all about, Alfie?

With all the Rollins fans on here, I can't believe no one's mentioned it yet. I admit it was a little before my time, but I guess it just shows you how young the membership is getting.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
4,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Cool - thanks.

Kansas City directed by Robert Altman from 1996.

Hardly a great movie but it has James Carter, David 'Fathead" Newman, Don Byron, Joshua Redman, and others in it.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Blade Runner. There are 2 versions of the soundtrack on CD, AFAIK; one by Vangelis and the other performed by an orchestra. The Vangelis CD is as in the movie except that tracks are heard in their entirety, including 2 of them featuring saxophone as the lead/solo/melody instrument. Fine quality! :)

·
Registered
197 Posts
The Last of the Blonde Bombshells - starring judi dench as the lead tenor sax player in an all women WWII swing band (well, almost all women). The story is of her efforts to reunite the band in the 90s. I think it was a made for tv movie, but it was still pretty good.

1 - 20 of 138 Posts