Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought some people here might be interested in a new instrument I’m making called the Saxinet (aka “Backpack Sax”). It’s a keyless instrument with the same basic fingering as saxophone.

I’ve made a few videos of the Saxinet backed by other instruments. I apologize in advance for the imperfect playing, especially in intonation (the player’s main challenge on such a small instrument, but great for practice). You’ll see right away that I’m neither a horn player nor a jazz player, although I have played professionally on other instruments in other genres for about 21 years. The main point is to convey a rough idea of the instrument’s potential:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAIW6LoFo3c
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ze6xUWBwEUI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0TJrAccRUs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfXSf6CnBng

The Saxinet It’s available in Bb and C, and in a choice of three colors, silver, gold and two-tone. I’m hoping that it will have uses for experienced players as a compact travelling instrument, as well as for kids to learn on a couple of years earlier than they could with sax or clarinet, or as an alternative to recorder. The Saxinet is my sincere attempt to make a better “pocket” instrument than any other on the market.

I’d be glad to answer any questions or comments, either here or by email.

All the best,

Duncan Gillis
www.Saxinet.com

·
Administrator
13,990 Posts
I see from watching your other Youtube videos that like myself, you also play the GHB Duncan.

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
Ha. Looks and sounds like a simplified clarinet. Cylindrical bore = clarinet. Does it overblow by an octave — or a twelfth ?

No register key ? Maybe "chalumeau" would be a good name for it ? You could extend the downward range f you put two small keys at the bottom for the little fingers, too.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I have a question: is the bell there just for the looks or is it necessary? Having it will afffect portability.

I would be interested in giving it a blow to see how it compares to a xaphoon. The xaphoon is a nice idea and wonderfully portable, but I dislike the embouchure with a vengeance.

·
Forum Contributor 2013-2017
876 Posts
I think the bell allows the instrument to be placed upright and maybe for sound projection. Reminds me of the iPhone 5s in silver and gold. Nice marketing in their website.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
It's an expensive toy but I want one! In Bb, please...

It would be interesting to give a look at the fingering chart: the recorder is also a chromatic instrument and the basic fingering is the same as the saxophone.

On a second thought I should try to put an alto mouthpiece on my recorder

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,309 Posts
I don't think novelty items have much staying power, especially when it sounds like a kazoo.

·
876 Posts
The Saxinet is my sincere attempt to make a better “pocket” instrument than any other on the market.
I’d be glad to answer any questions or comments, either here or by email.
I personally use my soprano as my travel saxophone, but this Saxinet may fit the bill for just having a sax- like instrument to maintain embouchure and fingering practice during travel. Are you able to send a link to the instrument's fingering chart?
Kudos for the instrument concept.
Thanks

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
33,235 Posts
I don't think novelty items have much staying power, especially when it sounds like a kazoo.
+1 - I'm having a rough time getting past the innate tone of the thing. I can't imagine spending any time with it.

·
876 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
For me, the other difficulty of traveling with a sax is the volume. Having a pocket sax like this is not something I can practice with discreetly so maybe it was designed for impromptu jams. Given the samples, it doesn't appeal to me as an instrument for playing informally and looks easily damaged due to the bell.

Something more akin to a mouthpiece silencer with keys would be a better product for my needs.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi guys. Whew, haven't been checking the thread, so I'll do my best to catch up and address all questions. I'm also attaching a fingering chart.

I have a question: is the bell there just for the looks or is it necessary? Having it will afffect portability.

I would be interested in giving it a blow to see how it compares to a xaphoon. The xaphoon is a nice idea and wonderfully portable, but I dislike the embouchure with a vengeance.
Yeah this is one of the big differences between this and the Xaphoon. The Saxinet uses any regular alto sax mouthpiece.

The bell does round out the bottom couple of notes. It's about 2.75" in diameter, and could be removed if wanted. But the custom-fitted case makes this unnecessary IMO.

I'm sorry, but it sounds nothing like a kazoo. (The old "if it' doesn't sound like a sax, it's a kazoo or snake charmer" routine.)

Regarding tone, keep in mind that I am not a sax player. You know how tone is as much about the player... But I did my best. Sorry.

Twice the price of a Xaphoon? The hand-made ones, or the mass produced factory made ones? In any case, they're not half the price here in Canada where I have to price my labor. And how many saxes are twice the price of other saxes? Again, I've tried really, really, hard to offer it at the lowest possible price. And that was very hard to do.

Regarding volume, the Saxinet can be played whisper quiet, no problem. You would have to drop it from a second story or drive over it to damage the bell.

Keep 'em coming.

Thanks all.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
39,192 Posts
I'm sorry, but it sounds nothing like a kazoo. (The old "if it' doesn't sound like a sax, it's a kazoo or snake charmer" routine.)
well, there is enough material on line for anyone to make up their mind on whatever sound ( and the quality of it) your saxinet has.

For anyone who's interested I've posted a review here
Hello Nick :)

http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?203904-The-Saxinet-(-quot-Backpack-Sax-quot-)

As others have said There are plenty of these (and also much better sounding) chalumeaus ( this is not a saxophone but a primitive clarinet) on the market.

Perhaps the unicity is in the fact that it is made of metal or that it is incredibly overpriced (starting at £129, wow! A Bargain!) ?

This video is certainly not helping the sales

I have to regret the fact that I am not impressed.

there are many other and better (or just as bad) competitors in this market.

http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?130757-Bamboo-Sax
http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?163185-the-quot-Hot-Fountain-Pen-quot
http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?177361-Bamboo-sax-Xaphoon
http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?2120-Wooden-Sax-seen-in-Canary-Islands

Should one be inclined to spend a considerable sum of money and if one wants a real conical instruments (which would sound more like a sax than a chalumeau) one should check out the Saxillo which is a much better sounding instrument (and sounds like a saxophone!)

http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?189936-saxillo-anyone

however, why buying a wooden sax when you can buy a decent soprano for that kind of money?

If one wants to play a clarinet, a second hand clarinet will cost you less and play better than the saxinet.

should you really want a C instrumentthan the Clarineo is your thing

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Milandro, quite a long linky post to basically say you don't like it. I have no problem with you not liking it, but if you start using terms like "better" and "worse" you are contradicting your signature. These are value judgements, not objective observations.

You say it's "incredibly overpriced" and then incorrectly quote the price. It starts at $129.00 CAD, not £129. Do you know how much it costs to make? Do you know how much time it takes?

You say the linked video is not helping sales. How on earth do you know anything about saxinet sales and what's helping/hindering them?

You don't like the Saxinet, check. But it sounds like you have an axe to grind.

·
39,192 Posts
Quite the contrary, Sir, let me explain you the meaning of my signature since you obviously couldn’t understand it.

The fact that I don’t have any objective, universal truth to convey, doesn’t mean that I don't have opinions and pretty strong ones on many things.

I’ve never claimed anything as ridiculous as pretending to know everyone’s truth, but I do have the right to my own views and personal opinions. I don’t do objective observations and , quite obviously, so do you!

Your instrument isn’t appealing me for the reason that I gave. Others are free to think what they want of it. It’s a free world. If you will manage to convince many people to separate themselves from the hefety sum ( again my opinion, I am not saying that you are overcharging your customers, they will have to judge that) required to purchase your Saxinet, the better for you and perhaps for them.

The sound of your instrument is there for everyone to hear, thanks to your videos, this will give anyone the possibility make up their mind whether they should spend their money on your product or not. In my opinion the quality of the sound displayed in that and any other of your videos is such that they are detrimental rather than being beneficial.

Others might have different opinions.

The fact that I have expressed, for many years prior to you re-inventing the chalumeau, my opinion on several of these instruments, clearly shows that I have no axe to grind, which is a spiteful and ridiculous accusation, again my opinion!

You are, of course, entitled to your opinions as I am,, but you are most definitely not entitled to implicitly calling me a shill by implying that I have an agenda simply because I, quite strongly but politely, disliked your product.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Whoa, ok let's take this down a few notches. I'm not calling you a shill or saying you have an agenda. And I'm not being spiteful. I'm just pointing out that to me, it looked as if you were cloaking your opinion in terms of objectively "better" and "worse" qualities, and presuming to know how other people are responding to the video you posted.

I'm also pointing out that while you said the price was a big issue, you were factually wrong about it. It costs less than the price you said is an issue.

·
39,192 Posts
.......You don't like the Saxinet, check. But it sounds like you have an axe to grind.

well, Sir, so, you agree I have no agenda?

Good, because that is INDEED the case! I have no agenda but a strong opinion.

My comment about price is not about whether your instrument is cheap in relation to its cost. I made a mistake about the currency, yes, you said so and rectified. Well done.

My comment about price is of the same nature as any buyer evaluating any product and there are only three possibilities when a potential buyers sees any product in relation to its price.

1) The price is right, I am buying and I might tell others

2) the price is too high, I am not going to buy it and If anyone cares I will say my opinion about this

3) The price is low, this is a bargain and I will definitely tell all my friends

It is my prerogative to have chosen option number 2, but not to worry, it is not in my power to move , or not, masses to buy or desert your product.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts