Sax on the Web Forum banner
81 - 92 of 92 Posts

Registered
Recently received the Saxholder Pro and find it comfortable and it distributes the weight of the tenor well. I've not had to do any adjusting yet - letting it all settle in for a bit. I previously tried one of the Neotec harnesses, but found it restricted movement too much.

Question: I know the cord is rated to not break easily, but it does seem a bit precarious as thin as it is. Has anyone experienced any issues with the cord or knots giving way?

Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
I have used the old one for many years and with baritones too never had a problem , I also lengthened the original cord (with the extra one provided ) and tied the knots myself with no ill effects.

I am sure it holds many folds the weight of a saxophone.

Registered
I've been using a Saxholder Pro with tenor for a few weeks and it has been a godsend. Both seated but particularly standing it essentially makes the horn weightless. I'm impressed by the high quality materials: very light yet strong.

I have one concern--the bottom 90-degree joint for the belly support can scratch the body of your horn (in the region of the strap hook). I do not let the horn swing around carelessly, but even so my silver-plate has developed some scratches and scuff where it inadvertently touched the hard plastic of the Saxholder. I'll be putting some surgical or foam slit tubing over this area to prevent further abrasion.

Registered
I just started using a Saxholder pro recently as well. I love it. I have been using it with my 1932 Conn tenor and it works great standing or seated. I love the way it suspends the horn out in front of you instead of making the horn feel like it wants to come towards your body. This is a really significant ergonomic improvement. I can say wholeheartedly to any vintage Conn players out there that this thing eliminates all the troubles associated with the balance or the way the horn hangs as these horns are notorious for.

Registered
I've been using a Saxholder Pro with tenor for a few weeks and it has been a godsend. Both seated but particularly standing it essentially makes the horn weightless. I'm impressed by the high quality materials: very light yet strong.

I have one concern--the bottom 90-degree joint for the belly support can scratch the body of your horn (in the region of the strap hook). I do not let the horn swing around carelessly, but even so my silver-plate has developed some scratches and scuff where it inadvertently touched the hard plastic of the Saxholder. I'll be putting some surgical or foam slit tubing over this area to prevent further abrasion.
I had the same problem when I first started using the Saxholder. At the time I was playing silver plate Series III, and the scratches became evident as you describe. I started wrapping a chamois clothe with a rubber band, but eventually went to adjusting the abdomen rest higher than the manufacturer's instruction, just below the sternum. It made it a tad less stable by shrinking the "tripod leg span", but it was no big deal. Sadly, that horn is now gone but I still keep the abdomen rest fairly high. Your surgical tubing adaptation sounds like a good idea and may be just the ticket.

Registered
From what I have seen, the Pro model goes for $59 online and also in the stores where I saw them. I ordered one today (the day after Christmas) from WWBW for $46 with free shipping.
In my brief experience so far, they make a substantial difference with my tenor.

Registered
Don't think of it as an orthopedic device (which also occurred to me) think of it as part of an ekto-skeleton like Iron Man's suit.

Registered
The ONLY thing I do not like about the new PRO model is that you cannot rotate the sternum support 鈥渇igure 8鈥, as you could on the old one.
I liked to do this when sitting.

Registered
I love my Saxholder. I have the previous version but am considering getting the latest Pro model because the improvements look significant. Another benefit of the Saxholder is that it eliminates pressure on the blood vessels on the sides of the neck.

Registered
I recently tried the Saxholder Pro, and it's not for me. Standing is fine, but I didn't like it sitting down. And since I mainly play in bigband sections, comfort while sitting down is most important for me.

Forum Contributor 2017
Have not tried the newest version because the original version works extremely well. Its the perfect baritone suspension method imho

Registered
A big advantage for me with the Jazzlab saxholder is that it keeps my neck area totally free for when i'm singing. I can't use traditional neckstraps (I sing as well as play sax), and the weight of the instrument around my neck is a negative for my singing as the gig goes on. What I don't like about it is that the abdominal support rod cannot be extended very far, or else the frame rubs and marks my saxophone.

81 - 92 of 92 Posts