Sax on the Web Forum banner
61 - 80 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
649 Posts
I own one saxholder pro and two of the old-style. I like the new button-lock/release on the pro, because I had to velcro the old style to hold the arms in place. They also changed the height/cable adjuster on the new pro, but it's inferior. I will stick with the old style.

·
Grafton + TH & C alto || Naked Lady 10M || TT soprano || Martin Comm III
30,102 Posts
The Newest Saxholder pro is a real great improvement of an already great product.

https://www.thomann.de/de/jazzlab_saxholder_pro.htm

the click system of the arms solves the only problem that I have ever had with the older model and the fastening system for the gliding abdominal support (which no longer turns but I have never used it horizontal) is just perfect. I have an M and it fits me 183cm tall, just fine.
I didn't need to do any adjustment to anything although it is possible to adjust all manner of things. The shoulder supports are nearly reaching one another and from a better cradle around the neck, the usual support and weightlessness of the sax are the same or better than the older model.
I just received mine, yes it is excellent and I agree it has those advantages over the original.

The locking arms, locking cord adjuster is brilliant.

The removable arms are also good for people who need to stow it away in ver smaller spaces than an alto bell.

More on my review page - 6 of the best saxophone straps:

https://tamingthesaxophone.com/saxophone-straps#Saxholder_Pro

·
Registered
896 Posts
I have the older model and I use it exclusively for my baritone sax practice sessions. I'm interested in the new Pro model but I think I'll hold off until the problem with the slipping cord is corrected. I'm still using a harness for gigs because I have a problem with the arms slipping on the older model. I look forward to using a saxholder when all the problems are worked out.

·
Grafton + TH & C alto || Naked Lady 10M || TT soprano || Martin Comm III
30,102 Posts
I don't have any slipping problem
That locking device is solid, way better than the normal cord/friction system. If someone finds it slips they should send it back for refund or replacement under the warranty.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Jaw Chest Fawn Wrist Trunk Here is my high school graduation picture, taken in 1977. 12 weeks in constant traction to heal a shattered fifth cervical vertebra. The Jazzlab strap has been essential to me being able to play comfortably. This new Pro version seems check all the boxes to rectify any minor complaints I have had in using the original one. I'm ordering one today.

Some of the comments on the Saxholder "looking funny" on stage (various threads on SOTW) sort of mystify me. Hardly anyone knows or cares what a saxophone strap is supposed to look like anyway. And if I was really worried about that I would play a shiny new horn instead of a ratty looking thing from 1962: Clothing Musical instrument Hand Reed instrument Saxophone

·
Registered
947 Posts
As a bit of a warning to all, I ordered the new Saxholder Pro on wwbw this week, and, they sent me the original one!
Spoke with them at length, only one is pictured online (the new PRO) so they must be trying to pawn off old inventory.
On top if it the original that came was in a very old, beat up package (box).
What I will say for wwbw is they really do seem to have amazing customer service.
The woman I spoke with wrote up a whole special instructions order explaining the problem so that they don't ship the wrong thing again.
She told me it would take a few extra days for them to do the manual exercise.
If it worked, remains to be seen.
Net/net, if you are going to order one from wwbw, call them, explain the issue, or you might end up with the banged up original i am sending back to them!

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
4,446 Posts
I don't have any slipping problem
I hope they didn't change the mechanism, the fact that it's probably the best of any sax hanging apparatus I've ever used is why I choose to use it even though I find a few things about it less than ideal for me.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
41,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
What size or model would I order to use this for a Baritone Sax ? And would it adjust for use with an Alto also ?
the size depends much from you rather than the saxophone. The length of the cord can be changed and you can use a length which fits both I was using my older one from tenor to soprano, now I only use it for tenor.

I have attempted to replicate any slippage by pushing on the hook and didn't slip.

The very confusing thing of this thread is that some people are commenting but talk about the older model , outstanding though it was, this new one is better.

·
Registered
6 Posts
For most adults and children from 12 years on the regular SAXHOLDER-PRO size M will fit, since all relevant parts are adjustable. However, for very big players, let say more than 100 kg (220 lbs) and / or taller than 190 cm (6′ 3”) better solution would be a SAXHOLDER-PRO size XL which is available too.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I'm 187cm, and I use the XL size pro, though only with the tenor. It makes the horn weightless, and stops me slouching, which always previously led to neck and back pain. I've never had an issue with slipping cords, it locks solid. It's a great product.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Mine also slips and I opened it up and it looks fine and just for the record it does look kind of funny on stage. I did a gig 6 nights a week standing and moving a lot. The slider did move quite a but and it barely was high enough for my alto. It was comfortable except for those exceptions

·
4,446 Posts
Just scored a lightly used Balam Premiere and IMHO it blows away the saxholder for comfort and weightless feeling while playing tenor. It doesn’t slide because it has a locking mechanism. It also doesn’t look like you’re wearing some sort of bizarre orthopedic decice if you leave it on between sets. Two gigs, a long rehearsal and a couple shorter practice sessions over the weekend and zero back pain. I’m a convert.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Just scored a lightly used Balam Premiere and IMHO it blows away the saxholder for comfort and weightless feeling while playing tenor. It doesn't slide because it has a locking mechanism. It also doesn't look like you're wearing some sort of bizarre orthopedic decice if you leave it on between sets. Two gigs, a long rehearsal and a couple shorter practice sessions over the weekend and zero back pain. I'm a convert.
Interesting. I sold my Balam premium that I had owned for a few months (used the classic for about a year before that) when I got the saxholder pro and after testing and comparing them both for a week. To me the Balam was very complicated (couldn't quite get the angle and cord length around my neck/back area right) and not as comfortable. It also kept slightly slipping. The cords kept ending up on and digging into my nape. I'm sure there's an exact way to set it up, but I could never get it right (I did watch the instruction video). On the other hand, I only needed to slightly adjust the angles of the saxholder pro and haven't had to do anything special since (just put it on and lengthen or shorten the cord depending on whether I'm playing alto or tenor).

Just goes to show how everyone's experience is different.

·
4,446 Posts
Interesting. I sold my Balam premium that I had owned for a few months (used the classic for about a year before that) when I got the saxholder pro and after testing and comparing them both for a week. To me the Balam was very complicated (couldn't quite get the angle and cord length around my neck/back area right) and not as comfortable. It also kept slightly slipping. Just goes to show how everyone's experience is different.
For sure! Perhaps the guy I grabbed it from is of a similar build because I didn't have to mess with the back ties at all. They do look like they could be a bit tough to get right. I was impressed with how easily I found it to find the right curve for me on the shoulder pieces...three-ish years on the original saxholder and I constantly had to readjust the shoulder pieces because I could never get them right. I also found it easy to pull the slider up to where I like it and lock it into place where it never moved. Also like that it fits in smaller case spaces. Always had to carry the saxholder in my bag because it doesn't fit in the larger-than-most storage area on my hiscox case without bending the shoulder pieces to fit.

61 - 80 of 92 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.