Sax on the Web Forum banner
21 - 40 of 92 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
alto: 82Zii/Medusa/Supreme, tenor: Medusa, bari: b-901, sop, sc-990
7,543 Posts
Milandro. Are the arms still bendable/adjustable to fit one’s back?

·
Registered
Tenor, alto, Bb Clarinet, Flute
2,513 Posts
I just bought mine in March. Wish I'd have known they would be upgrading it two months after I bought mine. Even the older model is an improvement or a traditional strap. My neck doesn't get as sore. It does slip because I play to the side. The handles are bendable and I think I could improve on the slipping if I wanted to take the time. So far it hasn't been enough of an issue to make me stop and take the time to tweak it.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
I've bent the arms on mine so that they almost overlap, and also so that they conform more to my build. There's no slippage for me. Both the cord and the rod can be lengthened and shortened as needed. One limitation is that it does not seem to work with curved sopranos (at least, I haven't been able to figure out how yet), although that is more of an inconvenience when switching horns than a real issue as a strap like this isn't really needed for curvies.

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
4,443 Posts
My complaints about my (older model) Saxholder have been:
1. Arms flipping out of their detents unexpectedly, causing awkward and/or risky instability of the sax.
2. The cord being too long to support a Conn 6M alto properly (head upright, mouthpiece fully in mouth).
3. The grippy rubber "teeth" on the shoulder pieces getting tangled in long hair and making playing with, say, a hoodie a hassle.
It looks as though they've solved issue no. 1. No way of knowing about issue no. 2 and issue no. 3 seems unresolved with a slightly different design.
Push the cord out the back to expose the knots, cut one of the strings and tie a new knot: problem solved.

Looking at the new model I see no way it's any better for seated playing of tenor or Bari. I don't play seated often, or I'd ditch the sax holder.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
41,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Milandro. Are the arms still bendable/adjustable to fit one's back?
yes,in multiple places but I didn't need to bend anything. The standard position now shows the the arms coming towards each other and meeting virtually in a single spot crating a " neck wrap" so to speak. They suggest to bend the rods if they touch your clavicles but they didn't touch mine.

Mine is in the M size. The only " modification" which I would consider at a later time is to extend the cord . At the moment it is fully extended to play my tenor (in front, as I always do). I no longer play other horns but the size would be appropriate for soprano and alto but should I play baritone ( depending on the position of the ring) or bass then it might need leghtening.

Yesterday I purposely played on the side to test.

It is possible to do but it is less comfortable (but this position is less comfortable for me anyway) without any major ill effects.

After the initial puzzling due to the fact tthat I wanted to see the abdominal rest turning ( but it no longer does) I undertood that they must have thought that that feature wasn't useful and in fact the position is ideal.

It also fits rather well inside the bell of my saxophone and will certainly improve portability in my protec case where I put the previous one in the side pocket.

I just bought mine in March. Wish I'd have known they would be upgrading it two months after I bought mine..
I am not absolutely sure about reading about it here on SOTW (it may have been somewhere else), that but there was news of the Saxholder Pro around March-April when it was introduced at Frankfurt Musikmesse. I didn't go to the Messe (I used to), or maybe I am just imagining it.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
I've tried these and I don't feel secure with the shoulder straps that can slip. I guess I might feel different if I suffered with neck pain but I don't. I will continue to use my Cebulla strap as it's never failed me.

·
41,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 · (Edited)
I've tried these and I don't feel secure with the shoulder straps that can slip. I guess I might feel different if I suffered with neck pain but I don't. I will continue to use my Cebulla strap as it's never failed me.
the shoulder straps cannot slip now, impossible, they are locked. I modified the old model with a carabiner to held them locjed this one has no such need. Try it.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I bought one of the first ones that ever came out.... And it solved my back and neck problems.

Case closed.

Never looked back. Any inconveniences (of the old model) I learned to adapt to. Either that or give up the sax.

Anyone want a box of every type and style of the normal neck straps?

Now it sounds as if I may have to upgrade 😉

·
41,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
things improve and going with the new products is not a must but it is, at least advisable to go to a shop and try it and see for oneself the merits ( I don’t anticipate any factor against) I gave my old saxholder to a very good friend.

·
Registered
400 Posts
The problem with all of these so called improved straps is this when you start to bend them to conform to your body, it is next to impossible to get it right one side is always different than the other. I have purchased and I am returning the new Jupiter gig strap. It is not usable because although it is great for tenor it is impossible to use with an alto. It doesn't go high enough. Also any strap that doesn't let a person play to the side in my opinion is not a good idea. When you play 3 45 minute sets a night standing you cant have a strap that either slips off your abdomen or moves while you are playing. Im sticking with my Just Joes it works for every horn and although at times my neck bothers me a little its not enough to start messing with these other improved straps

·
41,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
This is the new, much improved model NOT the old one (which was already a vaste improvement on anything else on the market at that point, which is why I bought it at the height of my shoulder problems!) , to compare this to the old model does a disservice to its inventor whom invested in R&D and much improved this product.

T

·
Registered
400 Posts
Im just asking a simple question can you play your horn off to the side with out the abdomen thing slipping off your body. If not then it is not compatible to all playing positions and it should stated as such in the advertising.

·
41,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
well, you were mentioning also many other issues which have been addressed and solved in this new model. The strap can be shortened to a proper size which allows you to play tenor and alto (mine does and if anything maybe I will lengthen it).

About the side playing, maybe you should have read my post which clarified this point.

Yesterday I purposely played on the side to test.

It is possible to do but it is less comfortable (but this position is less comfortable for me anyway) without any major ill effects.
t.
The new abdominal support is lockable it doesn't move up or down once locked. Of course you will feel more pressure on one side if you play that way than the other but the arms stay locked and don't move like the abdominal support. I didn't need to reshape anything because now the arms are re-configured . Just Joe strap is an outstanding product but a VERY different one for different people and with different needs. They are not alternative. You either go for one or the other. I have both by the way.

·
Registered
6 Posts
SAXHOLDER-pro is available in the US since end of June 2019 and not every music shop has it on stock yet. Please contact your favourite music retailer to order them by JAZZLAB distributor ST. LOUIS MUSIC. They only ship to retailers!

In a few days SAXHOLDER-pro will be listed here too:
http://doolywoodwinds.com/

Best regards to all Silvin

·
41,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
the arms open and rotate and lock into one position meeting in one point at the back.

·
Registered
550 Posts
I briefly tried the old model but didn't like the feel of the pad resting on my abdomen nor the look of the contraption, which I thought was like a medical brace for an injury, but I recently tried one again and now love it, I've bought the new model.
For me it takes tension out of my neck which enables my throat to relax, instantly I sound better.
The design of this new model is terrific, it's the best thing I've found since that one great cane reed I got about 10 years ago.

21 - 40 of 92 Posts