Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Newest Saxholder pro is a real great improvement of an already great product.

https://www.thomann.de/de/jazzlab_saxholder_pro.htm

the click system of the arms solves the only problem that I have ever had with the older model and the fastening system for the gliding abdominal support (which no longer turns but I have never used it horizontal) is just perfect. I have an M and it fits me 183cm tall, just fine.
I didn’t need to do any adjustment to anything although it is possible to adjust all manner of things. The shoulder supports are nearly reaching one another and from a better cradle around the neck, the usual support and weightlessness of the sax are the same or better than the older model.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,160 Posts
I looked at them before I bought my Balam, but as a player who primarily plays seated with bari/tenor it doesn't look like it would work well for playing off to the side

·
38,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don’t play with the sax on the side but I see no reason why it wouldn’t work, the strap is long enough and the abdominal support can be set to be very short.

I highly recommend that you try it to make an informed choice .

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
I looked at them before I bought my Balam, but as a player who primarily plays seated with bari/tenor it doesn't look like it would work well for playing off to the side
I gave mine away.. Too many "slips" off my shoulder. And for the record, I bought it 3 years ago so it is the old version but my "conventional" protec is more comfortable and for bari / bass I use a real harness (I did a 3 hour bass gig last week and the last 30 min were torture but mostly on my forearms).

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,160 Posts
physics says that it would put all of the weight on the left shoulder and put pressure on the right side of your abdomen. It's not so much that you couldn't use it, but more than it wouldn't be particularly comfortable.

The decision against was largely based on this video where you can very obviously see it start to twist when he moves the tenor over to the side and comments specifically that it isn't as comfortable while sitting with a horn off to the side. If I was playing alto or standing up I would have likely gone with it over the Balam, but 99% of my playing is seated in big bands, pits, or wind ensembles
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tynxDd0XwXY

·
38,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I gave mine away.. Too many "slips" off my shoulder. And for the record, I bought it 3 years ago so it is the old version but my "conventional" protec is more comfortable and for bari / bass I use a real harness (I did a 3 hour bass gig last week and the last 30 min were torture but mostly on my forearms).
physics says that it would put all of the weight on the left shoulder and put pressure on the right side of your abdomen. It's not so much that you couldn't use it, but more than it wouldn't be particularly comfortable.

The decision against was largely based on this video

We are talking of this latest product different from the older one.

Thatt video is about the OLDER one not the new PRO model. THIS model has locking arms, they won’t slip off.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
I got this recently (new model) and prefer it over the Balam (I have the premium model). I'm going to be selling the Balam.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Amazon sells the old model (notwithstanding that they advertise it as the “new” model) so if you got yours from there, it was the old/non pro model. I bought one from them and promptly returned it and got the correct one from gear4music.

The new model is significantly better.

Amazon... (and mine had the locking mechanism already but it did not quite stand up to any sudden movements)

·
38,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
the locking arms have a push button to be unlocked , totally different from anything made before.
These are the changes and improvements of this model.
The arms can even be detached for storage while traveling
View attachment 239386

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
7,134 Posts
The new model doesn't seem to be on jazzlab.com. Why?

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
My complaints about my (older model) Saxholder have been:
1. Arms flipping out of their detents unexpectedly, causing awkward and/or risky instability of the sax.
2. The cord being too long to support a Conn 6M alto properly (head upright, mouthpiece fully in mouth).
3. The grippy rubber "teeth" on the shoulder pieces getting tangled in long hair and making playing with, say, a hoodie a hassle.
It looks as though they've solved issue no. 1. No way of knowing about issue no. 2 and issue no. 3 seems unresolved with a slightly different design.

·
7,134 Posts
My main complaint about the old model is that the length changes when I raise the bell in the air. (while standing)

·
38,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
No accidental changes can possibly happen in the length of the unit with this new model. The abdominal rest has a tightening , locking, mechanism which locks securely into position.

The model was released few months ago and maybe the site ( Jazzlab is a very small company) has to still be updated, several vendors around the world already sell it though. I got it yesterday and I am really very happy with this much improved version.

I have used the previous version since it came out on the market. It had many merits too but this one addressed, in my view every possible shortcomings.

I have tried to detach the arms, it is not difficult but not so intuitive . Don’t know If I would ever use this function but I can see how it would be useful for carrying the disassembled unit ( will take considerably less space).

This NEW PRO line is considerably better engineered , feels slicker and better made. I would advise buying it even if you have one of the older units because the advantages greatly outweigh the fairly limited cost.

Ah that's the penalty for early adapters ... :)
I was one too :), bought it when it came out, I have used it well all those years and it was time for something new, Incidentally it costs now as much or even less than the 5 or 6 years ago when I bought the first.

My complaints about my (older model) Saxholder have been:
1. Arms flipping out of their detents unexpectedly, causing awkward and/or risky instability of the sax.
2. The cord being too long to support a Conn 6M alto properly (head upright, mouthpiece fully in mouth).
3. The grippy rubber "teeth" on the shoulder pieces getting tangled in long hair and making playing with, say, a hoodie a hassle.
It looks as though they've solved issue no. 1. No way of knowing about issue no. 2 and issue no. 3 seems unresolved with a slightly different design.
1) No longer happens
2) You can (and always could), lengthen and shorten the cord, you also get a second cord should you want to replace it (as it was the case before too!)
3)......Oh well, I don’t have that problem :whistle:
I don't see any reference to it on the Jazzlab web site.
The new model doesn't seem to be on jazzlab.com. Why?
yes it is
https://www.jazzlab.com/en/news/

·
7,134 Posts
1 - 20 of 91 Posts