Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought this would be something late bloomers would be interested in hearing.

I went to hear a guy who does a smooth jazz / standards act. He also is a competent keyboard player and he played the piano and looped it back for his sax comp. Anyway, he has a beautiful tone. So I ask him about his setup. What he uses is a pawnshop YAS 23 with a stock plastic MPC. He told me that the horn and the MPC have absolutely nothing to do with the tone you get on the saxophone. I thought this was an interesting point of view with perhaps more than a grain of truth. Maybe it actually is true for him.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It could be for that this guy, just a working horn and MPC is all he needs to play well. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that the horn and mpc is about 10%,and person playing is about 90%

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,268 Posts
I think the particular reed one uses that day is probably more important, but I tend to agree that the mouthpiece is more important than the horn. All of that assumes that the horn is "tight." I have six sopranos and seven altos and they all sound about the same to me - certainly the differences would be difficult for the audience to identify.

I know a wonderful clarinetist who uses a stock 4C Yamaha mouthpiece on his clarinet - and he cooks. He was forced into using it after he broke his good crystal mouthpiece - and he learned to love that 4C. I can hardly get a sound out of a 4C. The player's chops really matter.

AND, the claim about the player maybe being the most important factor has merit. I've played other players' set-ups and never sounded like them on their set-up. I'll bet few of us could pick another player's horn and set-up and sound like that player. DAVE

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I guess the caveat is that the horn must be of reasonable quality and set up well. Also, the mcp has to fall in the reasonable category as well which the 4c plastic Yamaha (I think) does.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts