Sax on the Web Forum banner
61 - 63 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Did you see Coleman Hawkins by chance? I feel he is the most legendary jazz saxophonist, except for Bird, of course, that you could have seen live, given your time frame. Monk is pretty incredible to have seen as well, as is Trane. What about Booker Ervin? When you saw Mingus, do you recall if he was with him?
For sure I heard Booker Ervin a lot. He was Mingus's main tenor man for I don't know how long, I can't remember, but Mingus played The Five Spot for months at a time. And almost every time I heard him it was with Booker Ervin. There were few times that Mingus had guests like Eric Dolphy and one time Sonny Rollins was a guest. 90% of the time it would be Booker Ervin. Mingus also had Charles McPherson on alto later on. I liked Booker more back then now, but then again, I just heard a Booker Ervin solo the other day that I loved, so it just depends on my mood. I never heard Coleman Hawkins play live. If he was playing in New York around my day I wasn't aware of it. I didn't like his playing that much back then. My initial encounters with most musician's playing was via the radio, listening to either Symphony Sid and Mort Feeger when I was in my late teens. When I heard him on the radio I didn't like his playing that much. I developed some interest in him about 20 years later. I bought a few of his 33's because I went through a Hawk phase. I'm very moody about the tunes that I like and don't like. I think his influence on Rollins was mainly tonal. The fact is I was very poor back then and could've heard a lot more music live, if I could've afforded the cover or the minimum. But I didn't have it but for once in a while. The Five Spot was the most affordable club. And the Half Note was kind of expensive. The Village Vanguard was very expensive but I could sit on the steps going down the basement sometimes and hear whomever was playing. Boomers was affordable later on. Boomers came later but it was right around the corner from my second apartment. I heard a a fair amount of Clifford Jordan who played there often. I stopped by Slugs a few times. I just know I heard Jackie McLean there, Bobby Hutchinson and I forget who else. I did hear a lot of Dolphy and Booker Little at the Five Spot as well and that's also where I heard Monk -Rouse often. It was like Mingus and Monk would take turns playing for extended month cycles. I went to concerts as well at places like Town Hall. I took a lot of LSD back then as well. So a lot who what and where is a blur but iI was fortunate to have been onthe scene more than a few times. Nothing like it. I missed the 50's. I didn't get started until the early 60's.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Wow...Monk, Mingus, Dolphy, Booker Little, Booker Ervin, McLean, Rouse...Five Spot, Half Note, Vanguard, Town Hall...nothing like it indeed...thanks for sharing...incredible.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Yeah, Joe and Sonny certainly have a lot in common to my ears, and no little swagger too! But to me Joe has his own rhythmic thing going on, I've always found him much harder to transcribe as such.
Talking about transcribing. I'm pretty used to back and forth CD player and checking times stamps but, I recently picked up an app that I found helps a lot. Twas suggested by Bob Reynolds and it is definitely interesting. It's called the Amazing Slow Downer. It's pretty neat.

61 - 63 of 63 Posts