Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just spoke with Don Mackrill of Don Mack's music stop. He says that the Berkeley cases will be back on the market in September. The reason they went away for awhile is because the factory moved.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,933 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
4,466 Posts
he's been spouting this same line for the last several years. September never comes. Do not send them any $$ on their promises-it'll takes months of frustration trying to retrieve it.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,933 Posts
Thomas said:
he's been spouting this same line for the last several years. September never comes.

That's not true. September has come every year - for the last several years and many more before that.

·
4,466 Posts
Dr G said:
That's not true. September has come every year - for the last several years and many more before that.

Dr G. This is true that September comes in our reality but in the land of Berkeley tis only a myth.

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
Michael Ward said:
Berkeley are a repairmans best friend.
How so, please? I've used them for both altos and tenors for about ten years with no problems.

·
Banned
8,336 Posts
Hi Gary..glad about that. My repairman has had several horns with damage to the bow because of inadequate protection. Also the handles fall off. I have one here with one handle missing and my friends alto one is the same. The horn also rattles about in Berkeleys and I think there are better choices now.

·
27,650 Posts
Ah - I didn't understand for a moment. You mean that if the sax lands dead on the bow end, it will dent the bow? It's never happened to me although I've dropped my horn on that end before (in a Berkeley). You're right, though; there's not much padding down there. Maybe I'll go and drop the one I've got now, just to see. :D

Interesting about the handles. I've had four Berkeleys and it's never happened to me but I don't doubt what you say.

If the horn rattles around, that's the owner's fault for not adding some inside material to prevent it. I've always had a small block of foam to stabilise my horns in Berkeleys.

Anyway, what does this have to do with September?

·
4,466 Posts
I've used Berkeley tenor and alto cases and never experienced any damages. As Gary says a bit of supplimentary padding helps. I wrap my horns in thick bath towels inside all my cases when I travel as a habit anyway-keeps them solid in all cases and provides a bit more shock absorbtion I suppose. Also never had a problem with the handles either.

·
Banned
8,336 Posts
ok it's just me and my repairman doesn't like them. I don't think I'd want to have to pack my cases with bits of sponge and stuff not these days..I've used a Selmer Flight Series made by Bam for twenty years with my V1 ..no packing needed , fits like a glove and still looks good. Anyway glad you like your Berkeleys.cheers

·
27,650 Posts
Michael - just to qualify; I've been playing horns that aren't easy to fit - ie, Conn 6 and 10 Ms and Keilwerths. Berkeley are one of the few manufacturers that gave me reasonable protection that these horns will fit in.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,206 Posts
Thomas said:
I've used Berkeley tenor and alto cases and never experienced any damages. As Gary says a bit of supplimentary padding helps. I wrap my horns in thick bath towels inside all my cases when I travel as a habit anyway-keeps them solid in all cases and provides a bit more shock absorbtion I suppose. Also never had a problem with the handles either.
Always good to know where your towel is, too.:D

·
27,650 Posts
hakukani said:
Always good to know where your towel is, too.
...but not, I would assume, where your's has been! :yikes!:

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,960 Posts
i was going to post about berk cases but i think i will let gary have the last word here

1 - 18 of 18 Posts