Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya, I was wonder what kind of material you would use to fill in posts that were poorly drilled and need to be redrilled for new springs to all fit, as of now it seems to have a large varation of sizes and that would cause some weird action problems.

Epoxy would probably be too soft and trying to fill up the previosuly drilled holes with melted brass does not sound plausible.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,361 Posts
I have in the past used some very small diameter brass tubing for this repair. You measure the diameter of your brass tubing and drill a hole that diameter in the post. Next you cut a small length of the brass tube and soft solder that into the hole you drilled in the post. After using a jeweler's file to smooth the ends, you then drill a hole the appropriate size for the new spring. The existing hole in the brass tubing makes an excellent guide. You can buy brass tube as small as 1/16" OD from K&S Metals.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,973 Posts
They had to drill out the springs in the posts? Never heard of that. I would look at soldering into each oversized hole a piece of small brass tubing, then possibly having to drill some of them a little larger to take the larger springs. It is also possible to use pieces of brass wire as shims, then the spring will tighten up as you install it with the spring pliers. It all depends on the sizes of the oversized holes and the spring sizes for each. One thing about the brass wire is it can be 'staked' into place once the spring is installed by squeezing it from both ends with pliers.
I'm sure there are even more ways to do it but it is a nasty thing to contemplate. You really have to ask yourself how much this sax is worth to you before work like this gets started.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
I think the only sensible solution to such problems is having it dealt with by a professional who can ream out the hole, machine a new bush and silver solder it in place.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is a horn that sometime in its past had been gone over, but it appears that someone with very little knowledge about the tools available decided that drilling them and sometimes even drilling a hole underneath the spring that wouldn't come out would work better than taking it to a tech who could of done it much better. The body is absolute perfection with original laqquer and none of the keys have any signs of ever being snapped off.

That being said it did have a fair share of other things done to it by the previous owner,

Instead of getting the horn soldered they would use JB weld and that certaintly was not fun to try and remove. And underneath all of that these small little dents underneath the posts caused there to be an amount of void space under the post to exist. *I got it to a tech to repair those dents*

I have high hopes for this horn and it will be a great looking and playing saxophone!

-Dylan

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
I think the only sensible solution to such problems is having it dealt with by a professional who can ream out the hole, machine a new bush and silver solder it in place.
Not silver solder. That would need red heat and melt every soft solder in the vicinity. Soft soldering is quite sufficient.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,973 Posts
saxoclese; I had no intention of re-stating what you said - when I started composing my comment, yours was not yet visible.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
998 Posts
Have removed posts and silver solders then made new spring hole, soft soldered, and drilled out the hole some, tapped and installed Buescher springs, all work well. Soft soldering and Buescher being by far the easiest.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Buescher springs could work, my only worry is if my action would be limited in any way.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts