Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
4,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi folks, Ive actually posted this in the miscellanous sax thread but through a bit of research Ive found its associated with the name keilwerth
Im chasing some info on a brass tenor saxaphone that Ive just purchased recently.
It has the engravings
The regent. Ive contacted boosey and hawkes manufacturers who were based at this address from the late 1800's to present day, and they disbanded the music division 4 years ago, but say its definetly one from there stables but cannot give me any details as all serial numbers logos brand names were all dumped. I believe the horniman museum collected all this historical information but there not willing to release the info.
Now I know it doesnt hold much monetary value thats not my concern, but I am trying to chase down an era of manufacture ect. Boosey and co have informed me that all these units now are part of the keilwerth stables of saxaphones. Can anyone help us out with a bit of info. I wouldnt imagine it could be that old but Ive been led to believe somewhere around the 20-30's
Kind Regards
Steve

·
SOTW Administrator
26,243 Posts

·
4,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Im impressed mate, this was posted up less than 3 minutes, and you had responded, Im going to have to call you a forum troll hakukani, you get around thats for sure, thanks for the link mate but Id already been there. Its an unusual brand name with a twisted kind of history, so I was hoping someone would instantly recognize it for me and be able to answer its era question ect
Thanks for your reply mate
Steve

·
SOTW Administrator
26,243 Posts
Actually, I've been proctoring tests all day at my school job. It's pretty boring. I also keep the forum open while I'm practicing. When I take a break a peruse the new posts.

Surely you don't mean this kind of troll:
http://curezone.com/forums/troll.asp

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
2,063 Posts
Try out the link below. Its lists Keilwerth Serial #'s. If your horn is indeed a Keilwerth then your horn was made in the 60's. If you can post a photo of your horn you might get a better response too. (no offense Hakukani!) Anyway, Keilwerth is well known for doing lots of stencils and they even use their serial # range on a lot of those stencils. Let us see what your horn looks like.

http://drrick.com/Keilwerth.html

·
2,063 Posts

·
4,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the help guys, itll be here in about 3 days now. So Ill post up some photos then. I guess 60's is okay I was kinda hoping it was older like the 20's. That was why I got it, I made an assumption it was old old. But its still okay, I dont own a tenor, so Ill repad and clean this one up and use it
Thanks
Steve

·
2,063 Posts
simso said:
Thanks for the help guys, itll be here in about 3 days now. So Ill post up some photos then. I guess 60's is okay I was kinda hoping it was older like the 20's. That was why I got it, I made an assumption it was old old. But its still okay, I dont own a tenor, so Ill repad and clean this one up and use it
Thanks
Steve
I can't guarantee you it was made in the 60's, but if your horn is a JK stencil, then that would be my guess. Definitely show us some pics when you get it and congrats on your new purchase! Also, a horn made in the 60's is going to play much better than a horn made in the 20's. In the 20's the saxophone was more of a novelty than it was a serious jazz instrument, think Vaudeville here. I've heard experts say to stay away from any horn made before 1930. Just some food for thought.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,385 Posts
simso said:
I was kinda hoping it was older like the 20's.
I'm pretty certain you won't be disappointed ...

Finnerski said:
I've heard experts say to stay away from any horn made before 1930. Just some food for thought.

Hmmm ... I think you'll find a few people here wouldn't agree with that. :)

·
1,385 Posts
I strongly suspect it will be similar to this one (click to enlarge):

I doubt this is much later than 1930 or so, probably earlier. Having said that, the serial number on this one is an order of magnitude less than simso's. The writing on the back says partly continental manufacture.

Has yours arrived yet simso?

·
1,385 Posts
simso said:
Mmmm no, the joys of ebay, the seller hasnt even sent it yet, may even be scamming me.
Not happy
Steve
Hope not, fingers crossed it's just other stuff getting in the way.

Just noticed the photos above link to different enlarged ones (that'll teach me to try to be clever ...). Oh well, it just adds an element of surprise to the proceedings. :D

·
1,285 Posts
look in the Kohlert section of the SOTW sax makes and models...someone is talking about their "Regent" and it is Kohlert from the 1930s, a model that some folks think was designed by Keilwerth (I think I read Keilwerth worked at Kohlert in the late 20's.)

·
4,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Thanks for all the help guys, its on its way, you were right stitch, basically things slowed the process down and it was posted last week, should be here in the next day or so. That pic is fantastic, exactly the unit we are talking about with the company logo and I even saw the engraving up higher that said the regent. I assume they made a lot of saxes then. Were did you find that sax and get the pics from
Steve

·
1,385 Posts
simso said:
Were did you find that sax and get the pics from
Steve
It belongs to the brother-in-law of a woodwind repair student of my acquaintance. BTW simso, are you in Australia (I think I must have seen that somewhere)? If so, would you mind telling me how much the shipping was from the UK, and what carrier was used? I have a potential buyer for a tenor in Australia, and am trying to work out shipping options.

·
4,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi mate, yes I live in australia. All shipping is best done threw the postal service. Ive purchased lots of tings from the states and the uk and its the best and safest method. I paid fot the item to be air freighted which was 60 pounds in cost. Sending it by ground non priority was 50 pounds, so for the sake of 10 pounds I can get it here in 5 days rather than 5 weeks. Hope this helps. PS what are you selling
Steve

·
1,385 Posts
simso said:
I paid fot the item to be air freighted which was 60 pounds in cost. Sending it by ground non priority was 50 pounds, so for the sake of 10 pounds I can get it here in 5 days rather than 5 weeks. Hope this helps. PS what are you selling
Steve
A fellow forum member is interested in an Amati Toneking I have. The shipping prices I came up with are about twice those you quoted though. Having said that, I was packing it in a large box, which seems to be more an issue that the weight, and I think that might be putting the price up. I'll have to see if I can find a suitable smaller box and see what difference that makes. Does your Regent have a case?

·
4,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Yeh the trick with postage is keep it under a metre in length otherwise it starts to really cost. I have no idea whether the sax I bought has a case or not. I would assume not otherwise it would have been mentioned in the sale. Hopefully it will be here when I get home from work today. Enjoy and Ill post a couple of pics when it does arrive
Steve

·
4,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yep, there scamming me, they said things like computer ect wernt working couldnt get access to there email and then they said they'll post me copy of shipping documents. Paid for airmail they said they shipped airmail, its now 4 weeks later and its still not here. They then said that they couldnt send the shipping docs or scan them because there email wouldnt let them send it ect. Had enough reported it to ebay and put a claim in for insurance pay out. Thats the fun and joys of buying through ebay, 90 percent are genuine the other 10 are scam artists. Not happy jan
Steve

1 - 20 of 22 Posts