Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have bought this beautiful clarinet together with a group of other instruments and only when I arrived at home I noticed that all the keys are marked with a Z (which makes me think two things that it may have been made in Northern Europe rather than in the US and that they are all solid silver keys ( Zilver), the engraving is a little faint on the cartouche on the bell ut it doesn't look like it was polished because all the silver is there.

I may sell this later on, but I wanted to share the pics. ( click at least 3 times to expand to maximum size) :bluewink:

Musical instrument Wind instrument Reed instrument Woodwind instrument Brass instrument

Font Art Bicycle part Metal Fashion accessory

Wood Security Household hardware Gas Surveillance camera

Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well, I am not a clarinet player but if you take into account my modest playing, it sounds very nice, pads are very good

I believe that metal clarinets were a great idea and only the fact tat this is a very 鈥 traditionalist鈥 sector consigned them to play Jazz

Registered
I agree, I really like the idea of metal clarinets. It's a bit of a shame they didn't transition like flutes did, but it is what it is.

For some years now I have been looking into buying a metal clarinet, and haven't done so because the cheap ones are usually bad and the good ones are usually expensive. One day!

Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well, you didn鈥檛 ask how much this is, it may surprise you!

Rudolf Uebel made clarinets , flutes, piccolos AND bassoons with aluminum trying to combne the metal to the 鈥 wood鈥 construction.

The main difference is that any most wooden instruments have undercut toneholes, while metal clarinets (and metal flutes) has soldered on toneholes protruding out .

This accounts for a different internal shape of the tonehole ( and a way more precise one in metal) but of course that could affect the sound, it will not be worse, it will be different

Registered
By the way, I saw this clarinet in person, and played it. It's a very interesting instrument indeed. The clarion and altissimo were better than the chalumeau register, in my opinion. It's not the best instrument for a classical woodwind band, but it would be nice for a jazz combo.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.