Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
So, is there anyone in SOTW Land that has purchased this product and is prepared to comment on its content / quality?
(I'm really not interested in the copyright controversy.)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Did you purchase it? Were you scammed?

This is a SOTW advertiser. So it is hard to believe he is running a scam. I'd still like to hear the comments of some actual customers.

·
Out of Office
Grafton + TH & C alto || Naked Lady 10M || TT soprano || Martin Comm III
30,105 Posts
I have seen it advertised on SOTW before
Yes, it could well be an ad placed by Google, but those can be anywhere. Being advertised on SOTW by Google is different to being a SOTW advertiser as implied by jtf1459

·
Super Moderator
26,299 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,875 Posts
That thing just smells so bad. Not only are they illegally publishing charts, they're also illegally distributing copyrighted recordings.

There are some inherent problems.

1) Reading charts off a computer sucks. He talks about using a paper copy Real Book is outdated, but in reality, if you really want to study a chart you're probably going to print it out even if you have a digital copy of it. Which also leads to . . .

2) You're probably not going to use this on a gig. Even on a laptop, just bringing a regular Real Book to a gig is easier. If you want electronic charts, using iReal b on the iPod/Phone/Pad does the job and is $8 though it doesn't have the melodies (you know, because of copyrights and such).

3) He pumps up the importance of hearing the original music, but for his near 2,000 charts he has less than 500 MP3's, some of them multiple versions of the same song. Each Real Brook has roughly 400 tunes and there are 3 Real Books so do the math. He's not giving you audio for every chart which is what he makes it sound like.

If you want the audio, get Spotify. Tons of great jazz music on there. If you need to hear a chart, you'll likely find it there. And it's FREE (with ads, the version without ads is only $5 a month).

IMHO, just from looking at that page. It's not nearly worth it. You want to download the old illegal Real Books? You can do that for free (search David Valdez' blog). You want the music? You can stream it for free on Spotify. You can even find most stuff on YouTube. The only thing you're really paying for is a little bit of convenience. Not worth it IMO, especially when it's going to a guy who is violating copyrights. I use the Legal Sher and Hal Leonard Real Books. But if I were to use illegal versions, why would I pay somebody for them instead of just illegally obtaining them myself?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,875 Posts
I can see why this would be illegal but then I wonder about this Hal Leonard product:

http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/Real-Play-Along-1-D-Hal-Leonard-Publishing-Corporation/9781423433521

What would the status of this be? I was on the point of ordering it a few weeks ago but then I had second thoughts.
As Hak pointed out, HL pays for the rights to use the charts in their books. But that link goes to the HL play along that lines up with the book. It's a play along, not the original recordings. It's something recorded and produced by HL. Some tracks are taken from their other play along books (which they had before they put out this legal edition of the Real Book) and some are recorded specifically for this set. FWIW, I prefer them to Aebersolds. The audio is better and the rhythm section grooves more to my ears. Some of the Aebersolds are old and dated. The only downside is that a lot of tracks (not all) are really short (head in, solo chorus, head out) and that's disappointing. They don't need to be as long as Aebersolds but more solo choruses would be nice.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.