Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Check this son-of-a-gun out!

Bud Freeman on this album sounds like Zoot Sims and Stan Getz mashed together, playing surprisingly modern. Or, maybe I should say Getz and Sims sounded like aspects of Bud Freeman!

78 years old when this was recorded.

·
Registered
5,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bud Freeman ?
I'm not sure what you're asking about.

I suppose it's understandable that someone might not know the name of Bud Freeman. He started out as one of that "Chicago bunch" with guys like Jimmy McPartland, Red Nichols, and so on; but the album I've referenced, and some other Youtuba cuts I've listened to, clearly show that he absolutely did not stop listening and learning with the trad jazz revival of the 1940s. Like I said, in the 70s and 80s he was playing some remarkably hip stuff, sound much like a mix of Zoot Sims and Stan Getz. There's one cut on that album that I swear is a modification of a Monk tune.

Check his stuff out!

·
Registered
5,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I didn't post a link because I don't have a link. I have the album, which I just picked up for a buck at the local public library's CD sale.

I am sure that anyone who is interested in this somewhat idiosyncratic saxophonist will find a way to listen to some of his work.

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
Bud Freeman. One of the alltime great tenor men. As well as being a great tenor stylist he was of a convivial nature and a real nice guy. I got to know him a little when he was staying at Coley Walshe's house in Dublin for about a year in the late 1970s. The Eel.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts