Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have it? Played it? Reccomend it?

I was looking into a black selmer series III if thats anything to compare it too.

thanks a lot

Logan

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,358 Posts
Logan: What size are you asking about?

I've played a couple of sopranos at Scimonetti's store in Lancaster, CA; one straight and one curved. I THOUGHT they were Raven models (matte black with polished black keywork and inside the bell). The ones I tried also had the semi-precious stones in the touches, including side and palm keys.

I was very impressed with both horns . . . not enough to buy one though. Still, if I was looking for another soprano, I'd give these models a close look again. DAVE

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
pardon, I should have said alto, maybe tenor. I think tenor could me true voice. I am a really big guy 6'6 and 250

·
Forum Contributor 2015, SOTW Better late than neve
4,273 Posts
Tried a cannonball raven tenor and a hotspur recently. Impressive but a bit pricey I think. Definitely look for a used one. I have a series III and it's much better horn all around. Cost more, but is better value IMO.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I found a place that has them for between 2300-2500 they have the mad meg, hot spur and the raven. i wanna try out all three.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,404 Posts
Cannonballs do not hold their value as well as Selmers and used prices are pretty good, even for the newer stone series horns.

I played a bunch of Cannonball and Selmer tenors and altos recently. The Cannonballs have a different bore that is bigger and has more emphasis on the low end. The response and tone of the Cannonball are actually quite good and comparable in quality to most other modern horns. The action is not nearly as good as any of the big four, however.

In contrast, the modern Selmers have some of the slickest ergos and action. Their refinement and balance makes it easy to play your fastest licks. The tone on the SIII is going to be brighter and more focused than with the Cannonball. The response is very good and balanced throughout the horn. The low end will not be as big and rich, but the high end is much better. Cannonballs get a little shin and shrill in the high end. Intonation on both horns should be good once you match the right mouthpiece.

If price is not a factor, the Selmer wins hands down, but with price a factor, Cannonball is not a bad choice. Cannonballs have gotten much much better over the last few years, but they still, in my opinion, have a ways to go.

Coincidentally, none of the modern pro horns I have played in the last year can hold a candle to my SDA tenor with the Barone neck on it. The only horns I've ever played that I even remotely considered better were Selmer Mark VIs.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I love the tone on my Raven. Lovely. I can't beleive I pickewd it over the Ref. 54 alto! On tenor, the other way around though.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey! a fellow winnipeger!
I am going to try out the line of cannonballs, along side of the reference 54. But I just dont have the cash for a Selmer. I might see what financing options I might have, being a student makes that harder.

But I like how the cannonball looks, but I need to find out how it feel. Its all about how it feels to me. Playing comes easy if my hands are happy.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
34,046 Posts
Logan175 said:
But I like how the cannonball looks, but I need to find out how it feel. Its all about how it feels to me. Playing comes easy if my hands are happy.
After you play it for a while, the sound will start to matter too... ;)

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So I tried out both the Hot spur and the Raven. I feel in love with the raven more so than the hot spur. At the same time I also played the kookaburra and the selmer reference 54. And I didn't like either of the selmers over the Cannonballs.

I am very pleased with everything about them, except the not being able to use normal altismo fingerings. The action is really good. One down side because of my massive hands (27 cm hand span) I might need to by the lifters for the palm keys.

So if knows anyone who is selling the raven send them my way.

·
34,046 Posts
What? The shop you tried them at was not willing to sell them? :shock:

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Dr G said:
What? The shop you tried them at was not willing to sell them? :shock:
He was too eger to sell me them. He was puller the hardcore salesmen act. I guess its that instrument selling time a year, now that school is almost out and people need instruments for next year.

The other thing is he only offered my 200 for my student vito where as my usualy store who are more out going and know me, offered me 560. And they want 2299 Canadian for it. And thier interest rates are 18% vs. my normal shop 17%. But atleast I tried them all out.

Well the few fingerings that I know, wouldn't work on the raven. There are charts on the cannonball website you can print off.

·
34,046 Posts
Ouch. Sorry to hear that.

You maybe best off to sell the Vito privately (or here) and have cash in hand to deal with whomever. That seems like a high interest rate too - they know they've got you if you have to ask for credit. Bummer.

Alt. fingerings are whatever works on a particular horn. It's not all that surprising to learn that your Vito fingerings won't work on the Cannonball since they are such different designs.

Good luck in your quest.

·
4,273 Posts
Logan175 said:
So I tried out both the Hot spur and the Raven. I feel in love with the raven more so than the hot spur. At the same time I also played the kookaburra and the selmer reference 54. And I didn't like either of the selmers over the Cannonballs.
Interesting, I liked the Hotspur better. It had more kick in pants sound.

I wouldn't judge a new Selmer from any store demo unless it was properly and professionally set up. Out of the box, Selmers can be not always ready for primetime.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
yeah I am guessing it wasn't. it was dissapointing reading such wonderful info and being let down.

It was funny how I phoned a different store and they recomend me the new buffet line of saxes which are pretty disapointing. He like asked me to spend grand on a sax I don't like over one I do like because he thinks otherwise of it.

The way its been explained to me is, Cannonballs haven't been accepted into the sax society because they aren't selmers or a yamaha.

·
4,273 Posts
Logan175 said:
yeah I am guessing it wasn't. it was dissapointing reading such wonderful info and being let down.

It was funny how I phoned a different store and they recomend me the new buffet line of saxes which are pretty disapointing. He like asked me to spend grand on a sax I don't like over one I do like because he thinks otherwise of it.

The way its been explained to me is, Cannonballs haven't been accepted into the sax society because they aren't selmers or a yamaha.
Older Buffets like DA, SDA and S1 are some the greatest horns ever. New ones are made in China wannabe retros. Cannonballs have improved greatly of late. But the marketing and engraving is still full of gimicks IMO. If they loose the silly stuff and put the money to work on making a world class beating sax they'll be right up there with the big boyz. Right now, it's still daytime drama ;)

Good luck with your search

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
4,567 Posts
tjontheroad said:
Older Buffets like DA, SDA and S1 are some the greatest horns ever. New ones are made in China wannabe retros. Cannonballs have improved greatly of late. But the marketing and engraving is still full of gimicks IMO. If they loose the silly stuff and put the money to work on making a world class beating sax they'll be right up there with the big boyz. Right now, it's still daytime drama ;)

Good luck with your search

I played 2 Cannonballs last weekend and was very surprised at how well they played. Nice sound great intonation and I didn't have my mouthpiece so I used a stock! One was the vintage look and the other had a kind of silvery purple thing going on. If I needed a horn ( I don't) I would consider buying a Cannonball

·
Registered
107 Posts
I went from a Yamaha custom Z alto & tenor to a Hot Spur tenor & Raven alto and I am enjoying the (out of the gate) bigger sound. The fat neck also makes a difference. Add my Akai EWI into the mix and we're having fun now! Mouthpieces for each horn: Jody Jazz classic 8 (blue) with spoiler on alto & Sugal KWll 8* copper on tenor with Vandoren V-16 #3 reeds.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts