Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aretha Franklin, RIP. The voice, for me and millions. Some of my first gigs in horn sections meant playing those sax lines in 'Respect' and 'Think'. And many other classics.

·
Premium Member
15,480 Posts
So sorry to hear that she passed. Her impact on music was astronomical!!!
Inspirational is the best word I can use to describe her voice. It looks like that will be my music choice for my work music today.

Thank you Aretha!!!

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
7,356 Posts
I had to correct a friend of mine two days ago. It was making the rounds that she had died. Even on television. Made me mad. She was fighting for her life and people had already started saying she had died.

Now she can rest in peace.

Heaven just got a shot of soul. The queen is here.

·
Registered
5,241 Posts
She was great as both a singer (naturally) and an actress (perhaps surprisingly) in The Blues Brothers (1980). Funny, that movie was originally somewhat slagged by critics as chaotic or just semi-coherent, but it's proved to be a fantastic time capsule of performances by great blues/soul musicians when they were still near their peaks.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
So sad!...Listening to Dr. Feelgood now...played this song so many times, has some nice horns in it!...she also was a great pianist!...RIP Miss Aretha.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
3,408 Posts
Irreplaceable. Only a handful of mortals can be deemed to be irreplaceable, giants of mankind, Aretha Franklin was such a one.

·
Forum Contributor 2013-2017
687 Posts
Thank you, Aretha, for the music and inspiration. RIP.

Kenneth

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
"This is a song a girl took away from me." Otis Redding (praising, not complaining. he was just starting to collect some considerable residuals.)

·
Registered
840 Posts
If it were not for her, I never would have known who King Curtis was ... Thank you Aretha for blessing us all for all of these years with your wonderful gift of song.. You will live on forever. May you Rest In Peace, but you have to do some singing for the angels first

1 - 19 of 19 Posts