Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,508 Posts
From my experiences with Yanagisawa saxophones (several sopranos and altos) I'd say the lacquer on their sopranos is among the worst I've ever seen. EVERY Yanagisawa soprano has shown almost immediate lacquer-wear on the palm keys, the left pinky table, the C/Eb spatulas, and the long rods. Further, the main body of my S992 has large areas where the lacquer has come off, leaving ugly tarnish spots where I'm constantly polishing away the discoloration. This means little though because they play SO well.

Not so on their altos. Why this is remains a mystery to me.

My Selmer Ref 54 alto has only one little spot where the lacquer has worn away . . . a small corner of the thumb-ocatve touch. Other modern lacquered horns in my collection have shown no lacquer wear. My vintage Buescher altos (two lacquered brass, Big B and a TH&C) have spotting throughout. An early 1960's MKVI alto has no lacquer problems. I'm guessing that over time, one should expect to see typical changes in the lacquer, but the Yanagisawa sopranos are especially weak in that regard. DAVE

1 - 1 of 1 Posts