Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i've looked around on the forum for info on this and everything i've found has been about the altos but i'm having this problem on a tenor. anyone else had this problem? if so how to you fix it? also if any repair techs would care to chime in on this with any advice that would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
well i've looked around on the forum for info on this and everything i've found has been about the altos but i'm having this problem on a tenor. anyone else had this problem? if so how to you fix it? also if any repair techs would care to chime in on this with any advice that would be much appreciated.
As I have stated before, I think the best plan of action on this would be to contact Selmer Paris directly.

Edit: I saw in the other thread that you have contacted them.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i've also sent an email to the shop which i bought the horn from which is a selmers registered australian dealer

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Was this bought new or used? Did you try it out before you bought it or was it mail ordered?

Sorry for the 20 questions. Just wondering.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,034 Posts
How could you tell that thread was related to the question?

I have had the same issue with Alto and Tenor Series II horns and my III tenor. Had all of them opened up. Also noticed the same issue with a Reference 36 in a showroom.

With me, the problem was apparent at regular volumes when you tried to lower the pitch.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
bought new. Tried in shop, and i guess i just didn't notice this problem, i was probably overwhelmed by how good the rest of the horn is.

Yeah i've noticed a lot of people seem to get the octave vents opened up. Did it affect the intonation? How much did you open it by?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,034 Posts
I don't remember the drill size, but the drilling should be done by hand and in very small amounts. Then play the horn and see what result you get. etc.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
well i've looked around on the forum for info on this and everything i've found has been about the altos but i'm having this problem on a tenor. anyone else had this problem? if so how to you fix it? ............
In my experience as an 11 year + player of Series 3s, with the tenor, enlarging the first octave hole had no effect on this problem (whereas it did with the alto).

I have discussed the effects of enlarging octave holes with an Oboe designer and his general opinion was that the size of the hole has more bearing on clarity and focus of sound rather than specifically stability. His advice was to proceed very slowly and carefully and I can second the info that if you go too far you will diffuse the focus of the notes covered by that octave hole.

It was entirely up to me to re-learn the voicing of the notes in question - G2, G#2 - on my S3 tenor. I simply did some repeated long-tone practice on these notes, especially at low volumes, and learnt to play them correctly. It was a surprise to me as a professional of over 35 years that this could happen - being experienced on other tenors did not guarantee immediate control over a different horn, I still had to learn it.

The S3s are a 'concept' horn according to my contact at Selmer in Paris and have been designed to produce a very particular sound and blend of sound within a quartet. In my experience there are certain anomalies that show up with certain players including grumbling G2 and G# 2, warbling low notes, pitch problems etc etc etc. All of these have been discussed rather to death on this forum and have been variously, and I think sometimes rather unhelpfully dogmatically commented upon by some. However the truth remains that all these issues with the Series 3 horns are generally fixed by some careful re-evaluation of breath, embouchure and voicing and only in rare circumstances are they truly to do with faulty construction. Remember that these instruments were designed for (French) classical players who tend to focus their air in a more concise and refined way than some others.

Tom, this issue is obviously really bugging you as you have posted about this in a couple of threads.The best advice is to take your tenor to a tech, check the octave holes out, make sure it is working correctly. If all is well technically then your choices are simple, either accept that this is an area of your horn that you will have to practice to re-learn or move on. IMHO the S3 tenor is a fantastic instrument. Very best of luck.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,943 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
However the truth remains that all these issues with the Series 3 horns are generally fixed by some careful re-evaluation of breath said:
This may indeed be so Dave, that by altering your playing style you might be able to work around this issue but I will suggest to you that one shouldn't need to do this...I have an older Serie III tenor that doesn't have the G/G#2 problem but I have played others (one very close in serial no) that did. Also tried a Mauriat that had the same issue.
Thanks to SOTW and this thread (as well as earlier ones) I have some explanation as to the cause and for me I would choose to see it as a design or construction problem if it is not present on all horns.
Tom, I see you are far from a tech or a dealership that may have stock, but I would most certainly push to try another one...it's a lot of money to end up with something you are not entirely happy with, or that you feel you must alter the way you play to make it work properly!

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,943 Posts
yeah, really funny, really helpful Pete!
Er, isn't the premise of the entire thread tongue in cheek? I mean as there is no actual problem defined in the OP:

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Er, isn't the premise of the entire thread tongue in cheek? I mean as there is no actual problem defined in the OP:
I think not Pete, Tom has posted this same problem in a two or three other threads and I think he just forgot to actually post the title! I did actually find your response funny, sorry if I came over peeved!

1 - 20 of 96 Posts