Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
5,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going 'out there' with this thread BUT when I'm improvising I feel I going into some alternative reality. It doesn't happen during practice. Only in actual gig situations. The solo seems to evolves as if I don't have any control and I can't wait to hear what I play next. The less I TRY the better I play. It's an amazing rush but difficult to work in new licks/patterns - they just have to appear naturally. Anyone else out there leaving earth during solos?:angel4:

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,870 Posts
Reality is made in your head.(built up from things that are real of course) I think that what you have is the natural way to feel when improvising. A lot of artists talk about this one way or the other.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
I'm going 'out there' with this thread BUT when I'm improvising I feel I going into some alternative reality. It doesn't happen during practice. Only in actual gig situations. The solo seems to evolves as if I don't have any control and I can't wait to hear what I play next. The less I TRY the better I play. It's an amazing rush but difficult to work in new licks/patterns - they just have to appear naturally. Anyone else out there leaving earth during solos?:angel4:

I think thats a great place to be.

·
Forum Contributor 2017
7,480 Posts
When I am improvising on a gig I find that all of my thoughts and physicality seems to revolve around my hands, horn and brain. Sometimes it feels like I am actually part of the horn and that I am actually vocalizing the notes rather than playing them, and I think that is what happens.

I am thinking ahead of the changes and visualizing phrases and licks and scales and then it comes out of the horn.

It is a great feeling.

B

·
Banned
2,397 Posts
Can't say where it is I go when it's working, but know that as soon as I try to "own it", it will disappear. Sort of like there are two of me, one playing while the consicious mind should just sit here and shut up and not let that old ego butt in.

Being in the groove is what keeps me going. If I couldn't hang out there there would be no point.

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2012-2015
5,878 Posts
I guess that's what people mean when they say that they are "in the zone". I can be there even when practicing only one note as a long tone. Maybe that's why most of the time I involuntarily close my eyes when I play.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2011
781 Posts
I know I've been there when I can't remember what I've played and just have a good feeling about it. I'm not playing with total abandon, however, because I know the harmony and phrasing are working. I just get so involved with the story- in the moment- that my consciousness takes me someplace else.

BTW, I used to read Carlos Casteneda's books back in the 80's where Don Juan would slap him on the head and he would go into a heightened sense of awareness. Don Juan must have been a jazz musician.

Randy
www.randyhunterjazz.com
Online Jazz Lessons and Books
Lesson Series:
Making Sense of Jazz Improvisation
Introduction to the Blues
The Arpeggio Circle
Through the Keys
and more...
Lessons page: www.beginningsax.com/Jazz Improv Lessons.htm
Rhythm Changes Demo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrT0Xw_y9d0
Rhythm Changes Lesson:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMOW7QAfpwo
YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/saxtrax

·
Registered
248 Posts
yup, for sure. but only live, never in the studio. i definitely get it on the rare occasion in the practice room. it's like the adrenaline rush that base jumpers get: the feeling that drives the whole urge.

·
2,870 Posts
I know I've been there when I can't remember what I've played and just have a good feeling about it. I'm not playing with total abandon, however, because I know the harmony and phrasing are working. I just get so involved with the story- in the moment- that my consciousness takes me someplace else.

BTW, I used to read Carlos Casteneda's books back in the 80's where Don Juan would slap him on the head and he would go into a heightened sense of awareness. Don Juan must have been a jazz musician.

Randy
www.randyhunterjazz.com
Online Jazz Lessons and Books
Lesson Series:
Making Sense of Jazz Improvisation
Introduction to the Blues
The Arpeggio Circle
Through the Keys
and more...
Lessons page: www.beginningsax.com/Jazz Improv Lessons.htm
Rhythm Changes Demo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrT0Xw_y9d0
Rhythm Changes Lesson:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMOW7QAfpwo
YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/saxtrax
I dont get it often but it feels like walking on a tightrope because you can't be too conscious or too detached.

Kenney Werner (I think) in his book 'Effortless Mastery' discussed ways to achieve this state of playing.
that book is way too new age for me.

·
Registered
81 Posts
UberMentalHyperVentilHarmonizationVocalizationism...

Nuf Said

·
Registered
177 Posts
not leaving earth. if anything, when i'm improvising and if i'm in the moment like i'm suppose to be, my senses feel stronger. if anything, people and the music become much more tangible than before...

·
1,364 Posts
I guess that's what people mean when they say that they are "in the zone". I can be there even when practicing only one note as a long tone. Maybe that's why most of the time I involuntarily close my eyes when I play.
Read recently that the word ecstasy come from the Greek- Ex Statis- to be outside time. I thought this was an interesting concept when it comes to being 'in the zone'.. to step out of the flow of time.....

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
13,018 Posts
I go the same place, A Greene. That's why I play, to go there.

·
3,492 Posts
I love that feeling!!!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2007
1,247 Posts
When I have a similar feeling, sometimes even in collective improvisation, we call it "The music takes over".
I know a famous Danish writer of novels, who has told me that when he is writing a novel, he does not know what his persons are going to do next. Every morning when he starts writing, he is anxious to see what is going to happen in his novel.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Read recently that the word ecstasy come from the Greek- Ex Statis- to be outside time. I thought this was an interesting concept when it comes to being 'in the zone'.. to step out of the flow of time.....
Good point. Time is a logical/linear left brain thing and "the zone" for most seems to be the creative/radial right brain area where there is a loss of time connection. I've heard speculation that artists who are in the zone a lot suspend their time and thus live longer than their contemporaries. Interesting...but provable?...not sure.

GPD

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
I just get so involved with the story- in the moment- that my consciousness takes me someplace else.
Pretty common experience for some, I think in the moment is a typical reference. When it does happen for me it's almost like just hearing what's coming out without thinking... but sometimes that's when I start to "lose it."

If I can stay focused and "inside the music" for an extended time that's a great feeling...definitely palpable for me when it happens...

Shawn

ps On the Kenny Werner book, I do like some of the stuff in there. Interesting point-of-view. Not sure about the "meditations" on the CD, but when I listen to him play piano I totally hear the space that he's talking about. His playing can sound so fresh, inspired, and un-cliched. And, after so many have gone before that's awesome...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts