Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Finally, Ken from best music got to work on my Pierret Artiste Competition horn. He definitely liked the horn. I play tested it in the shop per his request and, I must say, this horn must have been the victim of a horrid pad job because it played like a different horn. The notes that sung before still sung, but so did all the rest that I was having problems with. He didn't even replace the pads. He just put them back on correctly. The low notes spoke well and the tuning was even throughout the range! I absolutely love the tone of this horn. It is a really fun horn to play, and it's easy to reach the low and high notes. The action is sharp also. Ken did an excellent job and I am now very satisfied with this horn. I'd say it's a toss up between this horn and my reference, with the reference definitely being a lot louder and having a more contemporary sound. I just find this horn more fun to play. I'm glad I focused on the sound and not the cosmetics. One day, I may get the dents removed but for now, sound is all that matters.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I am about a week from mt tech completing a full overhaul of the horn, with plastic pad resonators, new springs and cork, and all of the dents removed. The thing still looks old and vintage, and I like that. I've worked with my tech to come up with ways to resolve tuning issues. I can't wait to get it back, and post some youtube videos of this rare horn.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We'll see how it plays after the overhaul. He's already got a solution to put cork in the tone holes for low C and D which brings the D and E closer to playing in tune. It's gonna ultimately be up to me to learn how to play it in tune.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts