Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009
5,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Strathon HR piece that I like alot and was using as my main piece on my Mk 6. Then like an idiot I put it on a ledge while I was trialing a worked on Ponzol M2 from a friend. The strat fell, chiped the tip bad and I'm stuck. So, I get a decent lig and play this M2 today with a variety of reeds, and finally my 6 sounds decent. I've trialed lots of pieces and the strat always won but this time the M2 wins by default. What happens with "the right piece" is that response is very quick so I have time to add a dark, airy feel around the core of the notes and my tech is so much easier top to bottom of horn. Don't run out and buy an M2 because of this. The one I bought has junk inside left over from a baffle attempt and the tip has been changed somehow. Seriously, this piece reminds me of the old pink bite plate Guardalas that sound great. I'm just lucky I had something here when my strat bit the dust. Stupid, don't try that at home. K

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,209 Posts
Keith Ridenhour said:
So, I get a decent lig and play this M2 today with a variety of reeds, and finally my 6 sounds decent.... K
Well, hey Keith, it sounds like you found a better mpc in the M2, based on this statement.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009
5,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
There is a semicircle of tip gone for half of its width on my Strathon . JL, you know with this Ponzol M2, I'm back to my smoky, fat , dark the Martin tone I had years ago. I could have stopped the wasted searching 5 years ago? K (this is the darkest M2 I've ever played though. I've bought and sold 4 or 5 of these and this ones the best. For the limited playing I do really this is fine. )Now If I only had that Ref 36 I liked so much from a few weeks ago???? gAs attack

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
TenTenTooter said:
If you really love the Srat it could probably be repaired and made better then before. Take a look at these:

http://mojomouthpiecework.com/DesktopModules/SimpleGallery/SlideShowPopup.aspx?PortalID=0&ItemID=200

http://www.merlinwilliams.com/mouthpieces.html

How bad is the tip break?
The damage on these are child's play compared to the mess I made a couple of months ago. I had the whole tip of a Lamberson J7 break off with jagged edges being all that remained (I dropped it on a cement floor and it bounced several times with pieces of the tip flying on each bounce :( ). Fred fixed it so it was as good as ever for about 15% of the cost of buying a new one. He said it was the worst damage he had ever seen.

Obviously it's lost a lot of resale value, but that's not my concern in this case.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,209 Posts
Keith Ridenhour said:
JL, you know with this Ponzol M2, I'm back to my smoky, fat , dark the Martin tone I had years ago. I could have stopped the wasted searching 5 years ago? K (this is the darkest M2 I've ever played though. I've bought and sold 4 or 5 of these and this ones the best.
That's great you found a good one. Actually I like the M2 I have a lot. At least I did until I discovered the RPC. I have 2 RPCs now, a .115B & .120B. Both of them are killer on my MKVI. On the Buescher, too.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
I played a Ponzol M2 for quite a few years before my recent switch to a Guardala Studio. Ponzols are a great mpc that, while high baffle, give a nice fat sound.

·
Vendor
15,578 Posts
Doc Tenney does the most amazing repair work I have ever seen....and I have seen many pieces!
I had a friend with half of a shank left on his Slant tenor after it dropped and shattered, and when Doc was done with it...NO ONE could tell it was repaired.

Hats off to his repair work...its incredible.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts