Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 208 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,905 Posts
Plus, the 'perfect sound' on any instrument is the one in your head. You might get a majority of players on that instrument to agree on that but its still completely subjective.

·
Registered
6,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I guess "in my opinion" was implicit in the title. Anyway, it's kind of a moot point if it turns out he played it on alto.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician, Forum Contributor 2
1,760 Posts
That is a soprano, not alto. While you will never get an agreement as to what "perfect" is, I personally do like the playing on that cut.

·
Forum Contributor 2015-17
1,919 Posts
If there's a better soprano sound than that I haven't heard it. Kirk was a wonder!

He played a highly modified saxello usually, and I've heard bergs but don't know.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Or maybe you have discovered a profound truth: that the perfect soprano sound is an alto. :) No wonder the sop mouthpiece hunt can be so tricky!
I agree with this. My ideal soprano sound is one that sounds just like an alto, but plays higher notes. Too many soprano saxophonists sound like oboes. A saxophone should sound like a saxophone!

3,364 Posts
I am not sure what I was doing in a physical sense, as I never thought much about it. But I found my sound would be quite different on Sop depending on the music. For ex. Schubert Ave Maria or something like The Peacocks.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
33,874 Posts
I agree, Branford Marsarlis' sound is lovely. His playing on the soundtrack of the movie Sneakers is particularly good. But personally, there is a player from England I believe, named Kyle Horch who is one of my favorites.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nl_4z4b99L4
Is he purposely damping the sound of his horn by maintaining the bell between his knees?

At t=2:40, it becomes obvious that he is resting the bell on his knees.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I agree with this. My ideal soprano sound is one that sounds just like an alto, but plays higher notes. Too many soprano saxophonists sound like oboes. A saxophone should sound like a saxophone!
That's like saying "a violin should sound like a 'cello but playing higher notes". I know what you mean, but a sop naturally sounds different, that's just how it is. You may think it should sound like an alto but it just doesn't - it has a different architecture and it's an analogue instrument with a different tone. I personally like to get as "saxy" a sound as I can from my sop and shy away from oboeisms, but when i play a bit of alto I just have to accept that a sop has its own natural and distinctive tone.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Is he purposely damping the sound of his horn by maintaining the bell between his knees?

At t=2:40, it becomes obvious that he is resting the bell on his knees.
I thought that was curious myself. I assumed he was holding it for support. But the sound is still clear and pure.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
1 - 20 of 208 Posts