Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started using a patch on my mouthpiece when I stopped using Level Airs on ten, alt in 1989. Because the Guardalas I started using had slick bite surfaces, I found a thin, clear patch gave me the 'bite' I wanted on the mouthpiece, was comfortable for my teeth and didn't interfere with anything.
Now that I'm using non-metals (except when I might play the Guardalas), I still use the patch to protect the mouthpiece. Getting ready for a rehearsal the other night, I decided to take my back-up tenor with my old Guardala just for fun, forgetting that I had pulled the patch off of it. So, there I was at practice with the one mouthpiece without a patch, so I had to play it. This was an eye-opener; I had heard guys say they wouldn't use a patch because it deadened their perception of what they were doing but I never thought much of the idea, but Wow! It was fantastic. I still can't do without the patch permanently because I'm convinced I would chip a tooth or something - I kept catching a front tooth on the 'lip' where the bite plate ends and doesn't perfectly match the metal.
So, I'm now convinced the story is true, that there should be no sound-deadening material between the teeth and the mouthpiece, but at the same time we have to live with reality. I did think about a thin, hard plastic applique that would cover the whole beak but I don't know of anything sold like that.
When it comes to patches the only one I like is the Bay 'Vibra-Ease' .33mm clear.

·
Banned
781 Posts
1saxman, perhaps you should contact SotW member Face Ache Mike.

https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?105060-Mouthpiece-Patch

The patches he makes (hopefully still does) are in a league of their own. Very thin, clear and completely unobtrusive. They are almost invisible of the mpc, and apart from preventing tooth slippage and damage to the mpc, they are almost undetectable in feel.
But there is a fundamental flaw with them: they're TOO good. Their durability is astounding; and this is coming from someone with teeth as sharp as a beavers!
I have been thinking of re-ordering (despite not needing anymore yet) just to ensure Mike keeps making them.
I play a minimum of an hour virtually every day (sometimes as much as 6/7 hours) and from the last five patches I bought from Mike in July 2016 I still have two left. And the one on the mpc at the moment is still in good shape.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts