Sax on the Web Forum banner
61 - 74 of 74 Posts

·
Premium Member
831 Posts
The photos show clearly recognizable that the Holton 'Beaufort' is an Evette-Schaeffer related saxophone. As the Beaufort is a pre-1926 saxophone,
there is most probably some difference to your Evette, which I couldn't recognize from the photos.

... The Holton is in need of a full service! Do you think it would be worth the effort...
It depends ... Do you like to keep it as a back-up horn? Does the Evette alto give you the playability and tone you want to sound like?

·
Premium Member
831 Posts
Some research on a Beaufort model:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Beauport-Fr...095?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a7abf3777

Bell engraving:

BEAUFORT
FRANK HOLTON
CHICAGO

Made in Austria prior to 1918:

Sold by Peate's Music House, 49 Franklin Square, Utica, New York
(The attachment post of the low Bb key guard could well match to a 'Beaufort')

established prior to 1912 (Music Trade Review Nov 20, 1911):

Condition: possibly stuck rods (look at the pads, the saxophone was dipped in a cleaning fluid)!

·
Premium Member
831 Posts
...You will understand my question was related to this sax!... I just thought it might be good to revive the Holton
The deciding reasons why I posted about this, were

1. History: This example supply evidence that Holton sold the 'Beaufort' before he started his own saxophone production in 1917.
2. Apparently this one is in a very poor state: There is a high risk of rusty and stuck rods after a careless handling. I advise against purchasing it.

I once bought a Couturier alto with signs like this. It ended up as a (very expensive) parts horn. A qualified overhaul would have cost me at least 1000$.

My Evette Schaeffer is near perfect and I love it. As my first Saxophone it sounds and feels great, I am sure it will teach me a lot.
Nicely said. I feel the same way with my first Couturier alto - until today. I'm sure you once will find another one in a healthy state.

·
Premium Member
831 Posts
... There is a high risk of rusty and stuck rods after a careless handling. ...
Look at the thread side of the rod in the middle of this detail from the seller's pictures:

For me personally an absolutely no go!

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
I hate to be that guy that revives an old thread, but I have to be that guy. A friend who was one of my older sister's teachers in high school contacted me. His wife had found her old alto saxophone from high school and they offered it to me, free. My plan is to repad it (desperately needed), probably have my local tech regulate it, then donate to the school I work at. It says Beauport, American, Chicago, U.S.A. It has been in various basements at least since she was in college, she is now retired and their grandson just became a police officer. I would estimate their age around 70 (just for reference). She says any cleaning of the horn happened before she owned it, but at some point in it's life, it looks to have been buff polished. I've likely got the pads I need and will only be out the spring removal tool from Ferree's I should own, anyway ($49.50), along with the regulation once the repad is done. I'd like to know some more of the history before I commit. It SEEMS to be a pretty strong horn, but not in playable condition (so I can't really check). I'll be spending a lot of time recorking, as well. Any insight/info much appreciated.

Musical instrument Reed instrument Wind instrument Woodwind instrument Brass instrument Musical instrument Brass instrument Wind instrument Automotive exhaust Woodwind instrument Musical instrument flute Reed instrument Wind instrument Drinkware Musical instrument Wind instrument Brass instrument Music Automotive exhaust Trigger Air gun Gun accessory Metal Gun barrel

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
3,410 Posts
That's a C G Conn stencil you bet...............Mercedes key guard, bow guard,G# key, palm keys, scream Conn!

61 - 74 of 74 Posts