Sax on the Web Forum banner
41 - 60 of 74 Posts

·
Premium Member
831 Posts
There must be many European stencils, just like there were in the USA. It looks like Holton bought them for a few years, until getting their factory started in Elkhorn, Wisconsin to make their own full line of saxes.
I agree completely.

The 'Beaufort', 'American Beaufort' and 'The Special' were Holton brands (and a Holton / Conn brand at the beginning thirties). Mostly stencils (not always!) they are marking extraordinary circumstances. What I've found out with the help of all Holton experts on SOTW until now:

Brand / Year of manufacture / Manufacturer / Reason

'Beaufort' / ca. 1916 - 1917 / Evette-Schaeffer (assembled in Austria?); Buescher / Holton completed tooling for own production 1917

'Beaufort American' (1) / 1918 -1919 / Buescher / WW I induced discontinuity of production

'Beaufort American' (2) / 1921 / Buescher / C soprano; Holton began own manufacturing 1922

'Beaufort American' (3) / 1931 / Holton (Own Couturier); Conn / sellout during depression

'The Special' / ca. 1944 / Lyrist - A. E. Sax* / WW II induced discontinuity of production

All these models are marked 'Chicago' although the company moved to Elkhorn spring 1918.

* This is new insight after a long research. 'The Special' is not made by Couesnon as I previously suspected.

·
Premium Member
831 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
So proud, I am, to be called a Holton Freak. That Rampone Bari is beautiful, and the picture of the double pad low D key makes it clear how it works. Does the small pad open give you an Eb?

·
Premium Member
831 Posts
So proud, I am, to be called a Holton Freak.
Did I use a debatable term? In Germany we use the term "freak" like "enthusiast". Possibly there is a slight difference? Anyway, I said "all of us Holton freaks ...", so I am a freak, too. Thank you for your advice. I have changed my diction.

The Eb key. Hmm ...Wait a minute ... .

·
Premium Member
831 Posts
That Rampone Bari is beautiful, and the picture of the double pad low D key makes it clear how it works. Does the small pad open give you an Eb?
If the E key is pressed down by the second finger, the open pad should give an Eb when the third finger presses "5 bis". As the little finger is free, the passage from Bb, B, C, C# to Eb is much facilitated now like described here: "2nd. A new Eb key that is applied to all saxophones ..."

http://i546.photobucket.com/albums/hh411/LaPorte1922/Beaufort/Bildschirmfoto2010-01-1419-34-08.jpg

A really great thing, isn't it? I would like to see my Couturier saxophones equipped with the Evette-Schaeffer system.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
alto: 82Zii/Medusa/Supreme, tenor: Medusa, bari: b-901, sop, sc-990
7,542 Posts
That's an interesting C-melody.

·
Premium Member
831 Posts

·
Premium Member
831 Posts
Yes, the item number is identical. I would rather think this being made by Evette-Schaeffer. Yet farina_man is a connoisseur of French made saxophones, so we have to take his judgement seriously into account.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Hi, to LaPorte who wrote on 2.16.2010: "That is a very interesting track, Walter. I've seen an Evette-Schaeffer C-melody with the extra keys stencilled 'Oscar Adler' - just as if it was an own make. Maybe Adler assembled intermittently Evette parts? Apparently Adler did not build their own C-melody's"...
I certainly disagree; that C-Melody picture you provided and the OA seal are identical in design to the Oscar Adler Altos etc. of the same era, including the Apogee style keys. So unless Oscar Adler did not make ANY Saxes, he certainly made C-Melodies.

·
Premium Member
831 Posts
... So unless Oscar Adler did not make ANY Saxes, he certainly made C-Melodies.
You are right. Oscar Adler built this very C-Melody. From my perspective the remaining ambiguity is if Oscar Adler originally designed this C-melody or did they use patents and/or tooling from Evette-Schaeffer.

Thank you for clarifying.

·
Distinguished Member and Bass Sax Extraordinaire
1,044 Posts
If anyone wants to read about the history of the Oscar Adler company, and about the variety of horns they built (and there were A LOT), check out the Oscar Adler page on my site. The page is a bit out of date, since I have some newer photos that I want to use to illustrate the various models/features (like all the duplicate keys that many of the horns such as yours has).

Also, if you'd like to see a bunch of different Oscar Adler horns that span a pretty major time period of their production, check out the Oscar Adler gallery on Bassic Sax Pix. There quite a few horns with the same logo your horn has tamped on it, included in the gallery.

·
Premium Member
831 Posts
A very unusual Beaufort bass saxophone, "made by Conn" ... .
This seems to be a bit con fusing ...

Continued in post #58

·
Premium Member
831 Posts

·
Premium Member
831 Posts
A very unusual Beaufort bass saxophone, "made by Conn" ...

There are two categories which are indeed different animals:

A. Imported from Europe, engraving:

Beaufort
Frank Holton Co.
Chicago

Manufacturer: Oscar Adler / Evette-Schaeffer (1916-1917)

B. Made in USA, engraving:

American Beaufort
Chicago
USA

Manufacturer: Buescher (ca. 1918 - 1921); Holton, Conn (ca. 1928-1930)

The Conn made bass saxophone belongs to category B (1928-1930)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello

My first post.

I have recently purchased my first saxophone a Evette Schaeffer silver Plate patent model 1926. I have found a number of stencil's whilst researching its history. Recently I have seen a Beauport Frank Holton ALTO with identical Key configuration, joints and Guards. The Holton is in need of a full service! Do you think it would be worth the effort. I would be happy to post photos.

·
Premium Member
831 Posts
Hello

My first post. ... The Holton is in need of a full service! Do you think it would be worth the effort. I would be happy to post photo's.
Welcome to SOTW!

Photos would be nice ..

41 - 60 of 74 Posts