Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I read in a lot of threads about general issues of practice — not about studying a particular artist like Charlie Parker — that people refer to “the Omnibook”, but not specific to a particular artist like the “the Parker Omnibook”. Just “the Omnibook”. There’s a bunch of artist specific Omnibooks: Parker, Coltrane, Rollins, et al. Is there a general “Omnibook” other than the artists books? I am kind of assuming that when people use the phrase, “the Omnibook”, in a general way without naming the artist that they are refering to the Parker Omnibook, but is there a universal or general Omnibook that people are referencing? Sorry for my ignorance! Thank you.

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
When people refer to just "Omnibook" they mean the Charlie Parker Omnibook, unless otherwise specified.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks very much Gary.
I had a feeling that was the case, but wasn’t sure if there was something else out there. I guess Parker’s the Bible.

·
Registered
5,450 Posts
The Parker Omnibook was the first. It was some decades before another "Omnibook" dedicated to another artist was published, so "The Omnibook" usually just refers to the Parker one.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts