Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a medium chamber T6 (.100) from WWBW for $265 with one day shipping.

Why people aren’t talking about these is beyond me. If you want an affordable Link-like piece, this could make you very happy. And WWBW has a 45 day return policy, so there’s nothing to lose.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Those pieces are great! I had a T6 for a bit and loved it ..... not sure why I ever sold it! How do you find it compared to other similar style pieces?

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Why people aren’t talking about these is beyond me. If you want an affordable Link-like piece, this could make you very happy. And WWBW has a 45 day return policy, so there’s nothing to lose.

A friend of mine plays one and is very happy with it indeed. WWBW does not take orders from the European Union anymore, by the way. (but that is a different discussion, related to privacy laws)

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
I've currently playing a HR V16 T6 with no chirping issues. I've also had a few others over the years and none have chirped. Also play a JAVA T55 and no chirping there either.

·
4,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nah, mine's not chirping. I realized that literally every other piece I own is large chambered, so I wanted to try the medium chamber to see if it would give me a little more focus to my sound. The biggest thing I noticed is better control/intonation in the upper register, and it just being a little easier to play/control in general. A forum member here who I've sent several sound clips of my playing over the years said that this is possibly the best he's heard me sound...

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
I just picked up a medium chamber T6 (.100) from WWBW for $265 with one day shipping.

I dont think they were flexible or comfortable to play. I have tried the 7m,8m,6l models. There are not many other choices in Sweden in the pricerange though when looking for low baffle metal piece except lebayle. Wait, lebayles is even hard to find these days. Standard Otto Link stms then but its hard to find a good one. I wait for the new Florida style stm from Babbitt.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
1,564 Posts
I agree with Roger. The one T6 I had on trial from Long & McQuade did not play like a Florida or EB STM. Not even close.

I was inspired by Ralph Bowen's videos of him playing the V16 metal, but then Ralph also sounds amazing on the stock rubber Link he used to play and on the Vandoren Java T45 that he mostly plays on now.

·
Registered
219 Posts
V16 metal T9 large chamber, beautiful finish and dark sound, very user friendly, no chirping. I prefer my metal Theo Wanne Ambika as having a rounder richer sound.

·
4,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
V16 metal T9 large chamber, beautiful finish and dark sound, very user friendly, no chirping. I prefer my metal Theo Wanne Ambika as having a rounder richer sound.
Comparing retail pricing, the Ambika is $400 or so more than the Vandoren =)

·
4,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I dont think they were flexible or comfortable to play. I have tried the 7m,8m,6l models. There are not many other choices in Sweden in the pricerange though when looking for low baffle metal piece except lebayle. Wait, lebayles is even hard to find these days. Standard Otto Link stms then but its hard to find a good one. I wait for the new Florida style stm from Babbitt.
To my ear, it's just as complex and flexible as anything else I've been playing over the past few years (and that includes a LOT of boutique pieces), especially for the money. Now if they were $600, maybe I'd feel differently?

I agree with Roger. The one T6 I had on trial from Long & McQuade did not play like a Florida or EB STM. Not even close.

I was inspired by Ralph Bowen's videos of him playing the V16 metal, but then Ralph also sounds amazing on the stock rubber Link he used to play and on the Vandoren Java T45 that he mostly plays on now.
Hard to believe you had a "dud", as by all accounts these pieces are all pretty consistent, but maybe it just wasn't for you. I've been pleased so far, again, especially for what they cost.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Another fan of the metal medium chamber V16 T8 here, no chirping issues. I settled on it, with the help of a teacher, after trying about 15 mouthpieces from WWBW, including a couple of different examples of the ones I narrowed it down to. I also liked the hard rubber T8, but preferred the metal form, since that’s what I was coming from.

After about 8 months on the mouthpiece, it feels super-comfortable and has a nice range in terms of helping play softly or going more loud and raucous.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
I've played several of the HR and metal tenor pieces. I think the HR tenor pieces are great. I wanted to like the metals, but couldn't get on with them. The metals were chirpy for me while the HR played great.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have a couple of the small chamber ones, they play decently but I don't really like the sound that much. I think the chamber throat is a little too constricted.

·
4,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Let me revisit this thread after a week of playing it on a few different horns. My findings to date:

- EASILY the most controllable mouthpiece I've played, especially in the upper register, but across the entire horn.
- Maybe not as tonally "interesting" as many of the other pieces I've owned/played
- Per my wife I sound like me while playing it, as in, she didn't hear anything extraordinarily different tonally
- I've played a few different mfg and cuts of reeds and it doesn't seem to be picky at all

I may have mentioned before, but just in case, essentially EVERYTHING else I own is large chambered and .105 tip opening. So my question then becomes, what about this piece is making the upper register so easy to play? It's only .005 smaller a tip opening than what I am used to playing. Is it the Medium chamber? Is it the facing curve?

Anyway, it's a very nice piece, again, especially considering what they cost new. It's kinda dumb actually.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
4,680 Posts
I may have mentioned before, but just in case, essentially EVERYTHING else I own is large chambered and .105 tip opening. So my question then becomes, what about this piece is making the upper register so easy to play? It's only .005 smaller a tip opening than what I am used to playing. Is it the Medium chamber? Is it the facing curve?
Chamber volume is my guess .

1 - 20 of 42 Posts