Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
12,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After hundreds and hundreds of Meyer rebuilds, customizations and refaces (probably close to a thousand), Phil-Tone is introducing the Le Son.
Le Son is French for “The Sound” (pronunciation can be heard google translate).

I am excited to be making this piece and I feel it meets or exceeds the quality of the best Custom Meyer’s I have offered for so many years. Le Son is not an exact copy of any Meyer but it has that feel and vintage vibe from tip to toe. The piece has deeply undercut sidewalls and an open chamber. Gone is the quacking low end, and thin palm keys that frustrate so many. What is left is a big, singing, alto tone.

The Le Son is machined from German hard rubber stock. It is hand faced and hand finished. Like every Phil-Tone piece it is play tested and adjusted to exacting standards.
While I do not have an exact date for release I am fairly confident it will be available Early to mid October…so not long.

Pictures will be forthcoming. Currently I only have final prototypes that are not cosmetically prepared.

The price has not been fully determined yet but it will be in the range of all my other hard rubber pieces (355). My production cost is higher so there may be a slight adjustment…but nothing dramatic. As always, I will do my best to provide players with quality and value.

I will keep you posted.

Thanks

·
Registered
5,901 Posts
After hundreds and hundreds of Meyer rebuilds, customizations and refaces (probably close to a thousand), Phil-Tone is introducing the Le Son.

I am excited to be making this piece and I feel it meets or exceeds the quality of the best Custom Meyer’s I have offered for so many years. Le Son is not an exact copy of any Meyer but it has that feel and vintage vibe from tip to toe. The piece has deeply undercut sidewalls and an open chamber. Gone is the quacking low end, and thin palm keys that frustrate so many. What is left is a big, singing, alto tone.

The Le Son is machined from German hard rubber stock. It is hand faced and hand finished. Like every Phil-Tone piece it is play tested and adjusted to exacting standards.
While I do not have an exact date for release I am fairly confident it will be available Early to mid October…so not long.

Pictures will be forthcoming. Currently I only have final prototypes that are not cosmetically prepared.

The price has not been fully determined yet but it will be in the range of all my other hard rubber pieces (355). My production cost is higher so there may be a slight adjustment…but nothing dramatic. As always I will do my best to provide players with quality and value.

I will keep you posted.

Thanks
Good luck with your new mouthpiece, I'm sure it will be terrific. Phil Barone

·
Registered
707 Posts
I like the name, especially since it will be pronounced here in Languedoc-Roussillon (where both Phil and I live) as “le song”.

·
12,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the hint Vries. If you happen to come down around the Font Romeu area give me a shout.

I didnt know how to phonetically tell people how to pronounce it.

So as close as I can get in English ...minus the nasal sound.

LU SONg the G is so soft its not there (in most regions). So its like saying the persons name Lou and saying the word Song and ending on the N.

Its easier to say with some red wine

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
12,785 Posts

The price has not been fully determined yet but it will be in the range of all my other hard rubber pieces (355). My production cost is higher so there may be a slight adjustment…but nothing dramatic. As always, I will do my best to provide players with quality and value.

I will keep you posted.

Thanks
Sounds like a great mouthpiece!

·
12,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Like my Custom meyer did not, the Le Son does not have much of a squeeze...not like modern meyers. The table is also thinner...which is something i do by hand on rebuilds of meyers.

i may do a prototype passaround. No decision yet.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Je trouve ce bec nouveau très intéressant, Phil. Donne-moi le prix en Euros, svp.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Hi Phil,

do you deduct the 19% EU VAT when exporting to European countries like Switzerland which are not part of the EU? Switzerland e. g. will add its own 7.9% VAT on top!

·
12,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Im still learning the system here

You can always contact me to work out the details...and i learn as i go lol

the lady runs the business...she is french and understands better how they think!

I have pieces in a shop in Switzerland...of course they dont have this piece yet...neither do I.

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
12,785 Posts
Like my Custom meyer did not, the Le Son does not have much of a squeeze...not like modern meyers. The table is also thinner...which is something i do by hand on rebuilds of meyers.

i may do a prototype passaround. No decision yet.
What does a "squeeze" mean? Straight sidewalls that come in as they travel into the chamber?

·
12,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i dont have a meyer in front of me but a modern meyer closes down...not to a straight area but a tighter area than the undercut walls in the chamber. On modern meyers there is also a bunch of extra material in the thick table too. This is important to a point but if too much it just feels choked and is tonally constricting...for lack of a better term at the moment. Inprefer a more gradual transition to the bore than one that is abrupt.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Im still learning the system here

You can always contact me to work out the details...and i learn as i go lol

the lady runs the business...she is french and understands better how they think!

I have pieces in a shop in Switzerland...of course they dont have this piece yet...neither do I.
Thanks. I might come and visit you when I‘m next time in the Sud-Ouest!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts