Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I'd appreciate any feedback you may have... I've been playing for a while now, but just in the last few months started picking up some playalongs to learn/build confidence in improv solo stuff. (I've never really done any solo playing like this, I typically just play harmonies/backgrounds with the band at my church)

I know the first thing I need to do is learn the scales inside and out, so I can actually read the changes listed on the music :D
I also need to improve my video "production" process, as you may notice that the audio/video is not 100% in sync. :( (audio and video are from 2 different takes)

I've been lurking on this forum for a while, and it has been really encouraging/inspiring to see and hear all the clips people post of themselves here, which is what got me interested in picking up the playalongs and trying it out for myself.

Thanks, and I look forward to hearing any comments/suggestions you may have that I can work on for the next song I try...

-aaron

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
1,612 Posts
The first two thing I evaluate when listening to someone play sop is their tone and intonation. I must say what I heard was not only pleasant, but quite enjoyable and nuanced.

Great job!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,316 Posts
Dude: You rock. I really connected with your playing . Others can provide more technical comments. BTW, you had a pretty tight backing track. Mind if I ask where you got it?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
11,501 Posts
Wow! You got my attention. That, to my mind is one of the prettiest soprano sounds I've heard ever... bar none! I have absolutely nothing constructive to say and definitely nothing derogatory. I'm not worthy... most excellent Aaron! Thanks!

I love the "just right" amount of vibrato, the good breath support, and good intonation... all of which are hard to master on sop..

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,833 Posts
thanks aaron, a nice rendition of a beautiful ballad!, what i like about it is you keep the phrasing just nice, without playing too much, theres good space here and there!.
As the guys have said the tone is lovely, sounds mature! whats the horn?.
thanks for posting.

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2012-2015
5,903 Posts
Excellent, I loved it. Great tone, superb taste, you're totally musical. Congrats!
Is that a Keilwerth you're playing? Please tell us a little about your setup. Thanks

·
19,062 Posts
Very well done......thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow, thanks for all the kind words everyone!

My soprano setup is:
sax: Antigua 590BQ
mpc: Otto Link 5*
reed: Mitchell Lurie #3 (clarinet reed)

·
2,833 Posts
Wow, thanks for all the kind words everyone!

My soprano setup is:
sax: Antigua 590BQ
mpc: Otto Link 5*
reed: Mitchell Lurie #3 (clarinet reed)
hmmm, thats why i asked!,the replys here have all been positive!, and it crossed my mind that "is that one of those antiguas"great sound for the money,nice.
Saying that its the player that makes the sound!.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I'm floored. Like other posters have said, I 'm mostly into tone from a soprano and I love what I heard in your clip. Your sound and phrasing was perfectly suited to that tune ( one of my wifes favourites ). Dang. Now I've gotta get me one of those .

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009
565 Posts
You know what I liked about this most? The fact that you didn't try to over play - you simply played melodically and left plenty of space. Very thoughtful and made the listening experience quite nice.

Great job man!

·
Registered
135 Posts
as others have stated, this is great stuff! You have a really nice sound.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
1 - 15 of 15 Posts